Agressive white black tailed jap. bantam chicks

Gonzo

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Southwestern, In
I bought my daughter 6 WBT jap. bantam chicks tuesday (it's her 4H project) Anyway they're a few weeks older than the 25 other chicks that we have. I moved the chicks into a outdoor play yard for puppies inside the coop. They have Lots of room. I also have 5 RIRS 6 weeks old & 3 Australorps 13 weeks old, they are loose in the coop. I put the WBT bantams in with the chicks because I did'nt want them picked on by the bigger chicks. Mistake! The 2 roo's & a few of the hens are relentless with our other chicks! It was sad! all the other 25 chicks piled up on each other to get away! They seem really mean! So, I took them out, and the others picked on the some, nothing like what they were dishing out on the other 25 chicks, so now they hide! I thought they would have adjusted by now! I tried the play yard again, And they got really agressive again! I don't know what to do with them! I need help!
he.gif

I wish I had an answer for you. My BTW banties are my sweetest chicks of all but I've never tried to put them with younger chicks. I hope you can work it out.

Last edited:
I would send a PM to PamperedPoultry. SHe has quite a few Jap bantams and that is where I got my eggs from. She might be able to help!!
smile.png

I have one jap hen in with my mush bigger and gentler cochin banties. Usually- If I have a big hen that's being picked on- I plop them into the banty coop to relax and grow some feathers back. When I tried to add 3 BIG chicks- twice the size of the jap- she harassed them to no end. I had to take them out. The cochins were fine- but shes fiesty!

I have several chicks from her (jap/cochin cross) hatched by the big hens- the chicks may be a little bold (first to jump on top of feeder, out of brooder, etc) but they are not agressive. You might have to make them their own coop if it keeps up- or try putting them with standards.

Back
Top Bottom