AGS Nigerian Dwarf Kids, Arkansas

good luck selling them, they're cute, mine are coming next week, i'll be crazy with 7 does going at once!
roll.png

I did my best to space mine out, no more then 2 going at the same time! I guess once you're done you can finally rest, where as I just get a short rest before the next round. Just don't know if I could do 7 all at once!

Has buck #2, the "polled" one been disbudded yet? I would be interested in him if he still has his horns. I need a playmate/companion for my little buck born Jan. 5th which I will need to separate soon. I'm letting him keep his horns and want another buck with horns.

I'm just south of Natchez, MS so not that too far away if we could arrange a half-way meeting place or something.

I would buy another from the breeder here that I got my herd from but it was hard enough picking out 5 does that weren't related in any way and any bucks she has are also related to at least one of my girls.

By the way, I'm new to goat terminology and don't show my goats though they are all from champion bloodlines, especially my two new babies, so what does "polled" mean? I'm guessing it refers to coloring of some sort. I've got a lot to learn.

Ruth Polled means they do NOT have horns!they won't need to be disbudded the coloring of the buck is Gold and white with blue eyes

Quote:
Well now I learn something new every day. Why doesn't he have horns? Is there something that causes a male to NOT grow horns? Never heard of it but like I said, I have so much to learn.

I probably really need another young buck, with horns, just so the score would be even between the two that will be kept together. So maybe I should try for the other little buck?

Well did some quick research and found this on "Goatworld" regarding "polled" goats - like I said, learn something new every day.

"Supposedly polled is undesirable in goats because it seems to bring with it a greater incidence of hermaphroditism (both sex organs and sterile). Alot of people on this board will tell you differently from years of experience. I don't think of it as a genetic problem, just a condition that should be watched. If you keep good records and suddenly start having lots of hermaphrodites, then you can trace it back and fix it. "

So Haviris, how about that other little buck - has he been disbudded yet and is he still available? They are both as cute as can be.

Ruth are you using the other buck for breeding ?
If your looking for a buddy for the buck you have and do not want to castorate him I would NOT buy another uncastorated buck for him. Find a wether or a different buddy for your buck. putting two not castorated bucks together ain't a swift idea. if Haviris cannot help you out you might consider trying local sale barns if your looking for horned wethers which I would find a dehorned one however because you do not need both bucks goering each other.

Yes polled means no horns, and it depends on who you ask about how desirable it is, I personally love it! I wish my bucks were polled! And the other buckling has already been disbudded, but I will have more avaliable soon, and I am willing to sell a horned buckling. I'm usually pretty flexable if a buyer reserves one before it's been done.

And just a note, I keep all three of my bucks together, so it can be done, just depends on the goat, and how they were raised up to that point.

The breeder I bought my herd from also keeps all of her bucks together and they all have horns and she hasn't had any problems either - I realize everyone's story is different. I had thought about getting a wether but if I have to house and feed it, it needs to be productive i.e. able to breed. I plan on breeding both so that I can quickly increase my herd. Then the bucks can also be studded out. My little baby buck has Master Grand Champions on both sides for parents and all grandparents and we will keep him as our herd sire. I want to get another young buck to raise so that he too will be very friendly. We have lots and lots of room on our farm and all of our chickens, (40 roosters) ducks, peacocks and geese free range right along with five dogs and two cats and no one has ever gotten in a fight yet - they all understand the rules and the consequences for breaking them.
smile.png

Let me know when you have some more little bucks born.

I'll definately be posting w/ the next ones get here, I've got one girl looking very ready, but shouldn't be due til the 16th I think, and another that should be due about the same time, but isn't looking near as ready (so we'll see, she's usually a sneaky one). You can look at my website to see my goats' breeding, I'm really happy with my current herd! I am actually trying to keep my herd fairly small, but it is so hard! My limit keeps going up! Currently my limit is 10 does (I've managed to stay at about 5 so far, but I'm keeping some kids this year, and hopefully next year), and I already have 3 bucks!

Back
Top Bottom