1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ah crud....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by antlers, May 12, 2009.

1. antlers

antlers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    East Cent Minnesota
    So I get tired of filling quart jars with water for the new chicks and figure the 7 gallon waterer will be fine now. Fill it up and put it in the coop last night. This morning I come in and 4 inches of shaving are soaked. Seems the rubber gasket did not seal so 7 gallon water slowly leaked out all night. Chicks fine but what a mess to clean up.

2. Katy_didnot

Katy_didnot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Beaverton, Oregon
    What a bummer, Antlers!
    I've had mine leak everything out a couple of times and chill the chicks, but at least it was a small one.
    I have a deep dish under mine now.

3. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Yes, I have a 3-gallon water with rubber ring. I used it 3 times. Once inside where I lost a couple quarts of water into the shavings before I caught it. Once outside where it worked perfectly. And another time outside where I couldn't get it to quit running out. It's on the shelf for now. GRRR

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My DH has quit opening the top of the 3 and 5 gallon plastic waterers. He turns it on its side on a tree stump, then fills through the little hole with the hose set on JET.

5. Cajunsamoan

Cajunsamoan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Louisiana
    I'm gonna have to try that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by