AH! First hatch! First 17 are hatching! *help please pg 14*

LuvMyBLR

Songster
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
New Boston, NH
So we put in 7 minorca/jungle fowl eggs about 2 hours ago. I have 17 more eggs (14 from Shay!) that will go in tomorrow morning, and then 12 from Wendy this weekend! So that's.... 36 eggs. I know it seems like a lot for a first time, but the incubator is running really well, we have an auto egg turner, and we're doing a dry hatch because the humidity is high here and I've seen awesome results! Oh and, yes, I am getting a bator for hatching. I'm so excited! Have no idea what shays are, lol, the 3 from the coop will be partridge mixes (with slw,glw, and/or blrw), and from Wendy I will have BLRW and splash silkies! Woo hoo!

Last edited:
clap.gif
I started out with 25 and this is my first hatch.

Really? I didn't know that. And my temp is already really steady. Stays between 99.7 and 100(won't let it go past 100), and since we're doing a dry hatch, the humidity goes between about 20% at night all the way to 36% in the afternoon. And it's not all over the place. It's a steady, gradual rising and falling. It has a rhythm is what I mean. Just like it probably would with a momma hen.
Just heard from Wendy and I'm getting my blrw and silkie eggs Sunday morning! Yay!

Quote:
With my styrofoam incubator that is pretty much where my humidity is. I add a wet sponge later when I go into lock down to bring the humidity up over 60%.

Yeah I like the sponge idea better than filling the pan. seems easier to refill and easily controlled and monitored. Just set my BLRW and silkie eggs yesterday! That is now 36 eggs in the bator and candling the Minorcas, our mix, and shay's mix on the 16th. I candled the minorcas yesterday and didn't see anything, but that would have only been day two technically. Those due to hatch the 25! and my blr/silkie eggs are hatching the 27th! I'm so excited! I can already see I'm gonna have to sit on my hands though. I want to take them out and candle them allllll the time because I just can't wait to see something is growing in there! I've controlled myself relatively well
tongue.png
. I'm convincing myself that if I take them out for even a few seconds in this cold that they will ALL DIE just so I don't open the bator! xD So, I'm doing this strange thing where I know it's not true, but I've convinced my brain..... Yes I am insane. Mostly about chickens
big_smile.png
Oh! I also made a flashlight into a passable candler. Yay for tape, foil, and paper towel tubes! How's your incubation going, Raz?

Congrats on getting your first hatch started!!!! I always try to hatch more eggs than I want to keep as I take into account that not all of mine hatch and I don't want too many males roaming the yard. You have quite the assortment though. Once you start hatching your own eggs you get hooked to hatching your own eggs or at least I did. Its like playing lotto. You never know what your going to get.

Quote:
LOL I can definitely see that you are addicted. 100+, huh? I'm jealous
big_smile.png
As to the hatching your own eggs, my mother calls me a mad scientist because when she asked my I was putting some of our eggs in( bantam partridge roo over glw, slw,and blrw) I said "I just wanna see what happens!"

Oh and I fudged up the date. First hatch is July 2nd
tongue.png

i have 24 due June 30,July 1st and 2nd dang chickens only gave me 24 good sized eggs to incubate i wanted to fill it up with the whole 41 trying to see if i can hatch out my own delawares and then RIR and BA but that number is more like 12 since i havent candled them yet

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom