Ahhh - Sand vs. Deep Litter

I've got shavings in the coop but learned the hard way you have to keep food and water hanging. I didn't have a way to do that at first and the shavings would fill in the feeder and water. It was a MESS! Now I have things hanging the shavings are great and take from the coop to mulch my garden boxes. Just make sure they don't get wet. I mix in some of that dimetris?? earth.

Mine are in a tractor. The bottom of the coop is 2 by 4 fencing. The poop just falls through on both the run and coop. When they need clean grass, I just move it. I love this system. I have had a larger, nonmovable coop in the past. It was a lot of work (to me) and they would not have had anymore room than they do now.

The last couple of weeks when it was cold, I put cardboard on the bottom instead of a poop board. It actually has taken a while for it to get dirty. They usually poop outside the coop since they stay outside most of the time. Anyway, I will take it out today. It has been in there a few weeks now.

Congratulations, you have just embarked on an addiction that will bring you much pleasure. Please remember this should be an easy hobby and NOT TOO COMPLICATED. One reason we all get into chickens is because they are an easy animal to keep happy and healthy. If you make a mistake you can easly rectify it. You are smart to seek the advise of other hobbiests. Read all this then go ahead and make your decision with the confidence that you are doing the best you can and your girls will forgive any mistakes.
wink.png
Good Luck

Thanks everyone for your replies. I guess I should mention that the coop is more of a rabbit hutch and the bottom of it is mesh so the poop will fall to the ground. So, sand or shaving will fall too. I guess I can't put anything on the floor of it since it is hardware cloth. Still trying to upload a pic. You guys r so nice and helpful.

Quote:
I put them on bricks, seems to work for my chicks. Hanging would prevent toppling though. My small feeder gets knocked over occasionally.
Quote:
Lol! Glad we could be of service.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I bought the EXACT same thing, from the exact same source!! However, I made it "like" the coop floor by putting shavings over it as well. I rake out the big clumps of poo from any other place in the coop ONTO the boot tray with the night droppings, then take the tray outside to the compost pyramid. I rake out the poo into the compost, then toss the rest of the shavings into the coop again. Then I hose down the boot tray, if necessary, and put it back into the coop under the roost bars. Spread some more shavings on it. Done!

Back
Top Bottom