AHHHHHH! SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH ONE OF MY CHICK'S EYES!

joeynumber1

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 5, 2008
Southern, NH
I just got five chicks from a chicken swap. (these are the same ones that two of them had mites) My mom and I just noticed today that one of her eyes is swollen. It also looks pink, which I'm guessing means that its irratated. Is it infected? Did she get something in it? Did she poke it with the stick that is in the cage? I'm not sure what to do!
D.gif

Can you post a pic? If it is just one eye with no other symptoms then it could just be a scratch or irritated. Flush with some saline and watch to see if you see her scratch or rub it. Maybe try some moisturizing eye ointment or if it is really swollen the terramycin eye ointment, it is pricey but lasts forever and works. Keep the chick separated, the others may peck it.

If there is a stick in the cage that they can get poked with, remove it.
You can rinse the eye with plain old normal saline eye drops (if you don't have them you can make your own: boil quart of water with a teaspoon full of noniodized salt). Sterile (boiled) water will do.

Terramycin eye ointment is a common treatement (available over the counter in most places but is about $15.00 a tube, here)

Do you have other chickens or poultry?

Do you have your new birds quarrantined?

Check the rest closely for others with any inflammation.

Good luck!

Quote:
I have removed the stick already. As of today I have 34 chickens including Cookie (the chick with the swollen eye). How do I have my new birds quarrantined? What do it mean to quarrantine? None of the other 5 that Cookie is with (they havn't been introduced to the rest of my flock yet) have any inflamation. I think that she probably scrached it. I will try what you have suggested.
Thanx
D.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom