Ahhhhhhwww- They got me!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by suzettex5, Jun 27, 2010.

1. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Those silly hens! They totally got me this time!

Heres the story on my little ladies- In feb. I got some 4 weekers and brought them home. I sold 10 out of the 14, and I kept 1 BR (barred rock), 1 RIR (rhode island red), 1 SLW (silver laced wyandotte), 1 I cant remember right now, and here it is June 27, and I've been waiting ever so patiently to find more than my usual 4 eggs a day (from my older 4 layers). My older girls always lay in a nesting box, and I have plastic golf balls in the boxes to encourage laying in the right spots. Every day for weeks now I've been hopefully looking for more eggs, but everyday I have gone in slightly dissapointed, but still hopeful, cuz, they gotta lay sometime, right??

This afternoon I heard a terrible rukus, and I thought something must have gotten ahold of one of my free ranging darlings, so I snatched up my baby son and ran full tilt towards the screaming. It wasnt far, but by the time I got there, the noise had stopped, my little cochin roo was looking at me and softly croooo-ed at me like he had something to say important and that I should maybe follow him. Well, I dont listen to silly teenage roo's so I looked around some more and I saw Babbs, my 5 month old Barred Rock getting out of a hay filled rubbermade container, looking for all the world like I was the one with a problem, and why was I looking at her at all!

Still not one to pay to much attention to a snobby young pullet, I started poking around where she had been. Weeeell, you coulda knocked me down with a hen feather, cuz in a little spot, surrounded with old boxes (from transporting chicks from the brooder to the hen house) and in an old-hay filled depression, hidden from view, was THIRTEEN pullet bullets!!! 13!! It was just the cutest little collection, about 4 different shades of little eggs, and all of them were just roasting in the sun! They were so hot, when I cracked them open, 1 was about 1/2 way to hard boiled!! NOT going rotten, it smelled fine, just the yolk was firm and all the clear fluid was semi-solid and very white! Those were some hot eggs!

So I guess my girls not only lay my breakfast, they found a way to cook them for me too!![​IMG]

So, they got me, they hid the eggs from me for quite a awhile- I am just so glad I know where to go to find them now, I was getting worried I was going to have to go on an egg hunt in the acre pasture to find the eggs. Now all I have to do is figure out for sure who is laying which egg. (it doesnt really matter, I just like to know, anybody know egg colors for BR, RIR, SLW's?)

2. poodlepill

poodlepill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    That's one good little henny that lays the egg and cooks it for you [​IMG]

3. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Aww, what a great story. Sounds like a smart roo, too.

My SLWs lay light brown/beige eggs...about the same color as a Buff Orpington egg if that tells you anything, but rounder in shape. I don't have your other two kinds.

Have fun!

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats on your first 13 eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by