Ailing drake - please help

So, my partner returned home from work and together, we were able to inspect the duck more thoroughly. It turns out, one of the ankles is very swollen. Obviously, it seems quite painful for the little one. We put him in a little cat crate to limit movement for now. What else can we do to limit swelling and get him back on the right track? Last duck we had with a swollen ankle wound up losing her foot. She's ok now and gets along fine, but we'd prefer to save this guy especially since he's our only potential breeding stud..

So, my partner returned home from work and together, we were able to inspect the duck more thoroughly. It turns out, one of the ankles is very swollen. Obviously, it seems quite painful for the little one. We put him in a little cat crate to limit movement for now. What else can we do to limit swelling and get him back on the right track? Last duck we had with a swollen ankle wound up losing her foot. She's ok now and gets along fine, but we'd prefer to save this guy especially since he's our only potential breeding stud..

Were there any lesions, or sores on the swelling that you could see?

We haven't tried to manipulate it much yet. He's in a cat crate for the night (and likely for the foreseeable future) but I'll definitely be willing to test it first thing in the morning. What should I be looking for as I test the mobility of the joint?

We haven't tried to manipulate it much yet. He's in a cat crate for the night (and likely for the foreseeable future) but I'll definitely be willing to test it first thing in the morning. What should I be looking for as I test the mobility of the joint?

When you do test the joint, watch for a strong reaction of pain, and try to feel the joint, comparing it to the other good one if needed to see if anything feels off place.

More information about what you find on the physical exam will be helpful in determining the nature of his problem, but it sounds to me like he sprained/injured the joint, there could also be an infection, but just as a basic treatment, in addition to the rest, you can also soak the leg in Epsom salts every few days to help reduce some of the swelling. In addition, administering B vitamins, and omega 3's may also prove helpful.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom