Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens

3 bags of pea gravel to level, 6 bags of topsoil on top of that, and then some pine shavings for the babies to spread around ( and oh boy did they) and then some paper firom shredding on top of that. They got in the run today and spread it out better than I ever could have! It was lovely. Then they all went back in the coop BY THEMSELVES (first day go figure) and I locked it up!!!

I figure I can always add more topsoil or pea gravel; the topsoil is nice and soft and the chicks are kicking around in it....

Fermented food is SO easy...chick feed, water to cover, stir twice a day, wait 2-3 days, feed, add more feed and water as you go...smells like bread/beer...they LOVE it

Sprouts are from (unbelievably) regular birdseed, I will use up that bag...

Microgreens can be anything seed: red wheat, alfalfa, grass... they totally EAT IT UP!

Thanks so much for the wonderful comments!!!! Very kind!

Last edited:
That makes a lot of sense and gets the same effect of the environment and bugs and stuff! I think maybe people just did it cause it's cheap maybe? plus i just realized, regular dirt may get muddy and they will have it torn up in no time. But seems fun for now.

And ive been thinking about fermented feed but am too lazy i think lol

Fermenting is for us lazy people, I own that, it is just sitting on my counter....not easy if you have many chicks but I just have six....

And the good thing about the topsoil for me and the chicks is that the run is covered..I must say I was surprised how soft the topsoil is....could not believe how well they took to it; I felt I needed to put down a good base cause underneath is all hardware cloth to predator-proof the run...

Yeah, it definitely does sound easy and I only have 8 so it could work but I guess what I also mean, besides the making it, us right now I'm bringing food out every day or other day (added another bowl so they go through it slower haha) and I was planning on making one of those bucket feeders so that I would have to bring it out way less often so I guess i meanif i decided to try the FF then idk if I could try the bucket thing and I'd have to bring ot out every day. The lazyness is getting to me :p although I have to check on them every day anyway and like spending time with them so i guess it wouldn't be that hard to bring it out or make a larger batch hah

And ahhh okay that makes sense then. Yeah, covered it would definitely not get muddy. I'm hoping to make the new run covered. The top soil definitely sounds like a nice plan

Yep, I hear you I am making that bucket feeder too so they will always have food, but fermenting as well so when I feel like it  (lol) they will have fermented feed...

I hadn't even thought of offering fermented feed just sometimes. I may have to try that. Maybe once a week or every other weeks or something or less

How do you know how much fermented feed to make? Do they eat all of it every day, or do you leave it for them a second day if they don't? I'd like to try that, but have 4 hens and a rooster all one year old, and wouldn't know how much they should get. Right now they just have feed available to them all the time during the day. Your little chicks taking their dust bath look quite happy and cute.

I think it's usually like a cup of feed and 2 cups water i think. Maybe be 1:1. But you can always add more keeping the ratio. Most I've seen also add apple cider vinegar to it. Had big benefits. I may try it

Know how much apple cider vinegar they're adding? What if they don't eat everything you sit out there for them in one day? Is it still good or will it dry all up in a day?

Know how much apple cider vinegar they're adding? What if they don't eat everything you sit out there for them in one day? Is it still good or will it dry all up in a day?
For a cup of feed I would add about a teaspoon...And I would think it would last about two days or so then I would toss what they don't eat...if you have too much in your jar and don't want to use it you can stop fermenting process by putting it in fridge, btw...

I hadn't even thought of offering fermented feed just sometimes. I may have to try that. Maybe once a week or every other weeks or something or less
Yes I do it "on the side" so they don't starve due to my laziness!

Back
Top Bottom