Air cell help, please!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by redhen, Feb 17, 2009.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:thanks!....i's luvs yous Nikki!...[​IMG].....what humidity do you use then???....the hatch master needs help here...[​IMG]

well i have staggered hatches in my sears roebuck (old fart incy) lol!

the wet bulb reads 90 which I willnever understand....as 90 on my wet bulb reads like 62-65% on my digital hydrometer. Since I have staggered hatches when im hatching i keep it around 62-65...however when nothing is hatching, Ikeep it around 40-50 as much as I can [​IMG]. Which that reads something like 80 on the wet bulb.

oh and awh i luvs you tooosss hehehee [​IMG]

heehe...[​IMG]...

2. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Songster

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Redhen Join the boat mostly all my eggs are like that . Its from shipping im guessing . SO wats the humidity suposed to be 60 or 40 my eggs arent due for 2 weeks

I thought the humidity was suposed to be around 45

3. william9792

william9792 Songster

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    i start mine out at 30 to 40 %, and at day ten i candle them if they are to big i bring the humidty up to 35 to 45%, ( but i always calabrate the humidty guage before i set eggs) just to make sure it reads right. i feel that different breeds and places that you are at plays an inportant roll in what it needs to be at, for all i incubate are RIR's, NHreds, Black Australorp and soon will be doing EE's

4. okiehen

okiehen Songster

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    redhen, hang in there you got some good advice.
    Don't panic you'll have chicks hatch.

5. mahen8622

mahen8622 Songster

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    im having the same problem with some beautiful ee eggs i got i threw one out and kept the other bc i could see movement ive kept my humidity at 40-45 but tomorrow is day 18 so should i bump humidity up to 60-65 then? my air sak is almost halfway up my egg... and i have a digital humidity thingy how would i calibrate that???

6. Akane

Akane Crowing

Jun 15, 2008
    Humidity seems to depend on your climate and incubator. Some people incubate down below 30%, some people incubate over 60% and both will say the other doesn't work for them. I found 40-50% works best for mine. At less than 40% the air cells got too big and several failed to get in position to hatch. At over 50% the egg does not lose enough moisture and the chicks drown sometime after day 18. I've hatched at 55-70% without any real issues but try to keep it 60-65%. Over 70% downward and late pips die and I find moisture in the egg when I break it open later.

If the air cell is just tipped sideways and does not extend down all sides of the egg it's probably just from shipping. The air cells often end up weird shapes after shipping.

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:thanks okiehen...i must say, i am very impressed with the fertility rate of your eggs!..they are all fertile and growing!.(the blue crosses also!..)..[​IMG].....now, if i just dont kill them during incubation...[​IMG].....[​IMG] [​IMG] thanks again, Wendy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: