Air Gun for Dispatching Raccoons?

Modern air guns are no joke.....

Any pellet going 1000 fps will kill a coon stone dead, even the 99 dollar gamo at Walmart will work.

Don't use the PBA ammo though, it breaks the sound barrier and cracks like a rifle. I have a gamo bull whisper and use it instead of my 22 now. It cleanly takes rabbits in the fall at 50 plus yards!

I want to mention a few things, first you don't need to shoot a coon in the head to kill it. Shoot it mid body it will run away somewhere and die, problem solved.

Secondly a air gun is not a firearm, and will not be treated as such by law enforcement. Most new air guns were developed to use inside city limits. Some of the replies here are beyond paranoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A .22 long rifle cartridge tip weighs 40 - 60 grains. I have Premier .22 cal pellets there only 14.3 grains. A raccoon is a very powerful wild animal. I would not recommend attempting to kill one with a high power air rifle. Even if you could buy 40 grain pellets for a high power air rifle it would be tough to kill a full size raccoon. Trap and release or kill box is the only realistic alternative, nobody wants to see an animal suffer. It takes at least 5 head shots with the air rifle. It's just not fair to the animal.

And to add to what I said above. If a raccoon is shot and wounded, it will run away. But it will remain alive for days suffering in some wooded undergrowth. Nobody wants to see an animal suffer and they also become more dangerous when wounded like any wild animal.

Just my two cents.

This is just my opinion, but most laws & ordinances were written because somebody pitch a complaint. It's not that hard to be a good neighbor. And if no one is complaining, who really cares. Do your deed, & share some eggs. If someone don't like it, us the "S" in SSS.

Just get a .22 and use 22 shorts for ammo. Draw an imaginary x from ears to eyes put bullet where they cross. You could cover cage with a towel and stick barrel of gun through the wire and under towel. Will be very quiet and raccoon will go down instantly. You could kill a deer with an air gun too but not recommended. Did someone really recommend shooting a raccoon 8 times in the ear with an air gun? Wow

I set a live trap every night i put in peanut butter and jelly on bread. They cant resist it. I get a coon almost every night. Game warden told me if they are a nuisance to your flock destroy them. Lots of rabbies and dieseases. 22 rifle close range in live trap. Little noise and it controls them trying to get my girls.

You must be a very lousy shot. I've seen many videos of people dispatching coons with a .177 pellet gun with a max 1250 fps at the muzzle. Don't believe me, ... search YouTube.

Last year I dispatched 7 raccoons with a .177 Gamo pellet gun. As much noise as it makes though I should have bought a .22cal rifle, more power, more accurate and not particularly louder than the 1250fps pellet guns, quieter if you use shorts.

Back
Top Bottom