Air pocket in eggs

That is odd, only time I have had it form on wrong end is when I was sleep deprived and put it in upside down for storage while I collected enough to run the incubator.
tagging someone that knows better than me about those types of issues as I run off for more coffee, beat the roosters up this morning lol
@Ridgerunner

Last edited:
If you're incubating them vertically, make sure the end with the air pocket, so in the case of this egg the pointy end, is facing up. That way the chick will orient towards the air pocket when it gets into hatching position.

I don't see any better way to approach it. I don't know if it will work or not but it's the way I'd approach it.

With some eggs it can be hard to tell which is the pointy end and which the round. If you get one of those the best way is to candle it to look for the air cell before you even store it for hatching if you are storing them vertical. Sometimes the air cell floats instead of staying attached to the round end. Maybe you had one of those and stored it up side down? Or maybe that egg was shaken enough to loosen the air cell.

I don't know why the air cell forms on the round end, there has to be a reason. It forms because the warm material inside the egg contracts as it cools and it grows as the egg loses moisture through the porous shell. But why the round end? As many eggs as get laid I can see where one may get messed up but it's not normal. I don't know how that will affect hatchability. I think it is at high risk whatever you do.

Back
Top Bottom