Air sac on pointy end, pipped at wide end

Haijunpet12

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2020
I have a duck egg that has pipped and is making a lot of knocking sounds and chirping, but the air sac is on the other end of the egg. Should I let it try to hatch? Will it need assistance? It sounds fine but it seems weird with the air sac being on the wrong end.

Is the air sac in the pointy end or the rounded end? It should be in the rounded end. What you're seeing may be a malposition, where the air sac is in the right place, but the duckling is hatching from the wrong end. In that case, he may need assistance. As long as he is externally pipped and can get air, I would see if he makes any progress. How long has he been pipped? Could you get a picture?

The knocking you are hearing is actually the duckling breathing. There's a bit of transition to breathing for itself and it will rest for quite some time while it absorbs the remains of the yolk and the blood that has been in the veins running through the membrane. This is a really important and critical stage and jumping in too soon to 'help' can have quite the opposite effect.

Air cells can become detached due to jolts and movement especially if the eggs have been shipped. Then they can reattach and settle, but not always in the original spot.

I have a duck egg that has pipped and is making a lot of knocking sounds and chirping, but the air sac is on the other end of the egg. Should I let it try to hatch? Will it need assistance? It sounds fine but it seems weird with the air sac being on the wrong end.
If it has externally pipped, it no longer has any need for the air cell as it breathes fine on its own. It will have ext pipped early as if it was a wrong-ender, but without the trouble of being squeezed from laying the wrong way. It's gonna take longer to hatch since it's actually in the internal pip-stage, but most likely gonna get out just fine on its own. Have patience, duck eggs take a long time from ext pip to zip.

If it has externally pipped, it no longer has any need for the air cell as it breathes fine on its own. It will have ext pipped early as if it was a wrong-ender, but without the trouble of being squeezed from laying the wrong way. It's gonna take longer to hatch since it's actually in the internal pip-stage, but most likely gonna get out just fine on its own. Have patience, duck eggs take a long time from ext pip to zip.
Good sound advice 😊

Back
Top Bottom