1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Air Sac on wrong side

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by davekrista, Oct 17, 2010.

1. davekrista

davekrista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    I candled my eggs tonight, and I have one that has the air sac on the opposite end. Is there a reason an air sac would be on the wrong end? Will the duckling still be able to hatch? Is it like a baby (child) born breech? Will i need to intervene when the time comes? I just want to be prepared when the time comes on what to expect. I like to be prepared and plan ahead. [​IMG]

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Ok, this sometime happens. You are less likely to get it if the egg is tipped with the sharp end down. Do not have duck eggs sit on its pointed tip in and egg cup, because that is not good for duck eggs at all. So what can you do? You cannot change the fact and I had an egg in the latch hatch that was like that and hatched just fine all by itself. Mist your eggs daily until lock down so the air sack gets nice and large. That will help the egg. Keep it laying with the air sack up, if you can. You may have to put something under that end to keep it up a little bit. Beyond that do nothing and just let nature take care of it. It may or may not need help at hatching. Just sit and wait.

3. davekrista

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    Quote:Thanks.... How many times should I be misting the eggs? I have been misting once a day but the air sacs don't look like they are bigger than the last time i candled.....I'm going to check metzer farms candling pics to see how big they should be...

*** OK i just checked and i guess according to the pics, they do look about right. ***

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  4. katharinad

Just once per day. Use warm water please. 100 degree or slightly more since it cools while misting.

5. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I candled my duck eggs and one of them has a large air sac and it goes down one side a bit. The others aren't like that but I saw it move so it's alive at least.

6. davekrista

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    Quote:Gotcha, I will use warm water. I learned from the humidity. [​IMG]

7. katharinad

Air sacks do go from one high end to a lower end. Not straight across. Wouldn't be to concerned, and don't candle all the time. Once per week is more then enough.

8. davekrista

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    Quote:Thanks Katherina. I can't see much anyway, so I am done candling until right before Lockdown next week. I'm so excited, I can't wait.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by