Air Sac on wrong side

davekrista

Songster
9 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Uxbridge, MA
I candled my eggs tonight, and I have one that has the air sac on the opposite end. Is there a reason an air sac would be on the wrong end? Will the duckling still be able to hatch? Is it like a baby (child) born breech? Will i need to intervene when the time comes? I just want to be prepared when the time comes on what to expect. I like to be prepared and plan ahead.
smile.png

Ok, this sometime happens. You are less likely to get it if the egg is tipped with the sharp end down. Do not have duck eggs sit on its pointed tip in and egg cup, because that is not good for duck eggs at all. So what can you do? You cannot change the fact and I had an egg in the latch hatch that was like that and hatched just fine all by itself. Mist your eggs daily until lock down so the air sack gets nice and large. That will help the egg. Keep it laying with the air sack up, if you can. You may have to put something under that end to keep it up a little bit. Beyond that do nothing and just let nature take care of it. It may or may not need help at hatching. Just sit and wait.

Quote:
Thanks.... How many times should I be misting the eggs? I have been misting once a day but the air sacs don't look like they are bigger than the last time i candled.....I'm going to check metzer farms candling pics to see how big they should be...

*** OK i just checked and i guess according to the pics, they do look about right. ***

Last edited:
I candled my duck eggs and one of them has a large air sac and it goes down one side a bit. The others aren't like that but I saw it move so it's alive at least.

Quote:
Thanks Katherina. I can't see much anyway, so I am done candling until right before Lockdown next week. I'm so excited, I can't wait.

Back
Top Bottom