Air Sac Rupture Treatment

Does she have Pendulous crop or a ruptured air sac?

I'll tag in @azygous to help with this. Read her article through and through. If you don't have a bra on Buffy, then I suggest that you fashion one if her crop is pendulous.
The bra will help push up the crop so the contents can empty. Usually a crop that is Pendulous will become sour as well, so if you haven't treated as sour crop, then I'd begin doing that too.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
I don't know why my replies are not showing up in my alerts (the bell at the top of the page).
She has pendulous crop... and today I discovered a large ruptured air sac above her right shoulder.
She's been wearing a crop bra since I discovered pendulous crop in late Feb/early Mar.
She's never had smelly breath or a squishy crop; and I did gavage her to flush the crop (a great but out-of-state vet walked me through it over the phone) and it did a good job, in late Feb.
Thank you for tagging her. I'll look at her article.
My most immediate concern - aside from the ruptured air sac - is knowing if certain things I'm seeing lately are signs that the crop muscle or other apparatus are beyond help or a sign of something else.
Meanwhile, the ruptured air sac is a very sad development since it creates another obstacle to her vigor and therefore her ability to devote enough time in her day to eat enough.

Last edited:
If you have photos that would be good.

So there's an air pocket/ruptured air sac where the bra strap has been sitting? It feels like air under the skin, not fluid or something like pus or a blister?

Does she struggle to breath?

Well, it felt really airy when I touched it after first seeing it. I'll have to try again to be sure it might not have been something else.

Attachments

• Buffy R.A.Sac.Location.jpg
    Buffy R.A.Sac.Location.jpg
    441.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Buffy R.A.Sac.Location2.jpg
    Buffy R.A.Sac.Location2.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Buffy R.A.Sac.Location3.jpg
    Buffy R.A.Sac.Location3.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Buffy R.A.Sac.Location4.jpg
    Buffy R.A.Sac.Location4.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 2
She doesn't gasp for air, but when she eats lately, she stops eating and starts breathing through her mouth with her beak open. She also falls asleep pretty easily the past couple of days during a feeding session. Starting 2 days ago, she also suddenly moved dramatically to escape when I tried to adjust her crop bra, and even called out both days as if it hurt a lot (she had never yelled out before). Now that I see this, I wonder if I was just getting too close to that sac.
I'm falling asleep, so now my replies are not immediate.
Thank you for responding as you have at this late hour. I need to go to bed now for work. I've been trying to feed Buffy early in the a.m. before I leave so I get up early (but she hardly ate at all yesterday a.m., Wed.).
I'll check back tomorrow. I'm actually planning on taking her first thing early tomorrow a.m. to the vet. Hopefully he can see her.

I hope the vet was able to squeeze her in this morning.

I do agree with you, it looks like air, sometimes the issue can resolve on it's own, other times the air does need to be released.
Up to you whether you want to attempt to release the air or not. You could try leaving the bra off for a few days to see if that makes a difference as well.

Back
Top Bottom