AIR SPACE ON BOTH ENDS? Incubation Question..

chickenwhisperer123

Whispers Loudly
10 Years
Mar 7, 2009
Lincoln, Nebraska
I was candling the eggs today, and 2 of them have blood rings. (Oh well)

The rest are veining very obviously (Its day 8) but they seem to have an air sack on both ends.
It may not be an airsack, but something that the light easily passes through, (Maybe the yolk?)
Any ideas on if it is the yolk or what is happening?

This is my first time hatching, and I am really excited!!
smile.png

Jason

Last edited:
What day are they on? In the early part of incubation, the developing part of the egg will look darker. You should see a clear 'line' where the air cell is, then the middle will be dark, then the egg is light on the 'bottom', or small end. I had some pics in facebook of some 7 day old eggs, I'll see if I still have them. But they'd look like that until at least day 10-ish, probably longer, depending on how you candle.

ETA: Apparently I've dumped those pictures, but I'm pretty sure that's what you're seeing. Unless they are on day 14-18, then they are probably quitters.

Last edited:
24462_230_day_10_3_copy.jpg

You can kind of see the light space on the side opposite the air sac.

It looks kind of like this one, only more obvious.

(I was looking at that thread earlier, and it is GREAT!!)

Last edited:
You didn't say what day the eggs are on??

The egg in that pic is just as silkiechicken and I both said, it is just an early egg (that you probably shouldn't be candling at this stage anyway
tongue.png
) in which the chick is not taking up all the space.

Yolks float and light does not pass through them as easily. If you incubate in a turner or candle the egg in a more upright position than usual the light area at the bottom becomes more noticeable than it might be otherwise. Thinner shelled eggs will also look like the light is passing through the white the same as the air sac when compared to dark or thicker shelled eggs. Air sacs and air bubbles will have more defined lines around them than the egg whites.

Back
Top Bottom