Air temp in incubator

as.mcdonald

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 11, 2010
Does the air temp in the incubator matter as much as egg temp. The temp in my incubator is varying from 104at the bottom to 90 at the top. How can I EQUALIZE THE TEMP. I am using 250 watt lamp water heater thermostat. when the light shuts off the temp drops.

That is typical of a still air incubator. If you want to equalize the temperature, you will need to get a fan. Normally you would take the temperature at the top of the eggs in a still air incubator but it sounds as if yours is set in the reverse with the heat at the bottom. That is where a water snake toy would work so you could get an accurate reading similar to inside of the egg.

This is my first go at putting an incubator together so I'm no expert but I was having the same problem with temps being at extreme highs or way too low. After I installed the PC fan, the temp is much more stable.

PC fans work well and are quiet running but I am using just an inexpensive clip on fan ($5 at the grocery store) and it has been working flawlessly for years. I have it lying motor side down in the middle of the incubator.

I never thought of using a little personal fan like that. Did it come wired for an outlet or did you have to modify from battery powered?

Mine already came wired for 110 and I ran the wire out of a vent hole. I tried the battery powered fans with an A/C adapter and the motors always died on me after a couple of months. They just are not built to run hundreds of hours at a time in high humidity. If you have a fan die on you, it can be deadly for the eggs. Luckily I caught it in time, both times.

Back
Top Bottom