ALABAMA!!

My friend got a dozen yesterday! I was so jealous, I think I was green with envy the whole way home haha. I thought the sudden cold chill may have something to do with it, it came out of no where compared to last year. We did put a light in our box, though it kind of looks creepy at night, the girls are warm and that's what matters.

Quote:
Have you ever processed turkeys or geese?? How did you learn?....Just curious.
smile.png

Have you ever processed turkeys or geese?? How did you learn?....Just curious.
smile.png

Just chickens so far.

I read a lot of articles, there's good ones on here and I watched a few Youtube videos. The first one was a mess, but after that it got better. I had worked with a lot of chicken before though, I was a manager at Jack's for 3 years, so I knew what chicken pieces look like. I probably fried hundreds
lol.png

Had to clean one today.. Lost Hipster to the cold, found her dead this morning. I skinned her instead of plucking. I don't think she had been dead for long. Her comb looked frostbitten yesterday and she look quite right.. kind of hunched over and puffed up... but really, who isnt in that cold?

I should've maybe taken her inside. Could've would've doesn't change much after the fact.

My 9 week old Blue English Orpingtons are doing fine and haven't figured out it's cold yet. They do have a small cozy coop with a 65 watt flood light in one corner. The light is on only during the coldest part of the night. Also the big vent on the left in the picture is closed but the front door is open.

I also keep a fairly deep layer of clean pine shavings in the coop. The picture shows previous tenants.

Last edited:
My 9 week old Blue English Orpingtons are doing fine and haven't figured out it's cold yet. They do have a small cozy coop with a 65 watt flood light in one corner. The light is on only during the coldest part of the night. Also the big vent on the left in the picture is closed but the front door is open.

I also keep a fairly deep layer of clean pine shavings in the coop. The picture shows previous tenants.

I love English Orps!

Okay, I'm setting eggs tonight. Tomtommom, I will only have to set a couple of browns for you, the rest will be blue eggs. If anyone else wants some of the dark eggs hatched let me know today. Those will be either pure BCMs or OEs.

Back
Top Bottom