ALABAMA!!

If they're like me, they were scrambling to try to remember their passwords. I never log in/out of message boards, so it took me a while to remember what I had set up here.

I'm so glad the board is back, though, because I have a question! This 12 week old Speckled Sussex is a cockerel, isn't it? :/ The pictures aren't great because he/she isn't very friendly yet. The Buff Orpington pullet in the second photo is the same age. My other SS (7 months old now) didn't have nearly the comb and wattle development that this chick is showing when she was this age, and I'm also suspicious of the tail feathers and what look like the start of saddle feathers.

Spring 17 Chicks May 1.JPG Spring 17 Chicks May 2.JPG

If they're like me, they were scrambling to try to remember their passwords. I never log in/out of message boards, so it took me a while to remember what I had set up here.

I'm so glad the board is back, though, because I have a question! This 12 week old Speckled Sussex is a cockerel, isn't it? :/ The pictures aren't great because he/she isn't very friendly yet. The Buff Orpington pullet in the second photo is the same age. My other SS (7 months old now) didn't have nearly the comb and wattle development that this chick is showing when she was this age, and I'm also suspicious of the tail feathers and what look like the start of saddle feathers.

View attachment 548757 View attachment 548758
Looks like the neck and saddle feathers are rounded. If they are, it's a pullet. Pointed, cockerel.

I sure hope you guys are right! In person, I'm about 50/50 on whether the hackle and saddle feathers are round or pointed. I can't pick her/him up or get close enough to tell definitively yet (except at roosting time when it's too dark to see well!). It's just a wait and see game right now, I guess.

For contrast, this is my older SS pullet when she was 12 weeks old:
Chickens 12 Weeks 4.JPG Chickens 12 Weeks 6.JPG

RTR From just outside of T-Town!
Just joined here today. I have 27 Red Sex Links(2 roosters,25 hens) that were hatched on 6 March of this year. Looking forward to fresh eggs again:D

Back
Top Bottom