ALABAMA!!

Ok time for questions. I won't be able to get the duck pen built until Saturday. Do y'all think it would be okay to put them in with the chickens til then?

Ok time for questions. I won't be able to get the duck pen built until Saturday. Do y'all think it would be okay to put them in with the chickens til then?

My ducks and chickens get along fine together. I have two pens, one for ducks and one for BAs. I have some Cochins that pen with the ducks until I complete their own pen.

I've heard of people doing it. I think some don't because ducks are a lot messier.
But I have no experience in it so I can't really say.

Got a 'sick' chicken on my hands
he.gif

My white rock was wheezing this morning, comb looking dark red, almost purple-ey, looking a bit wide eyed. Someone had nicked her wattle and it was bleeding a bit.. which to me is a possible sign of someone in the flock trying to drive out or challenge the weaker bird. No coughing, no gagging, no sneezing, no head shaking, no 'gaping'... her throat appears to be clear. She laid yesterday and is still eating and drinking. Crop has some food in it, it's not full or hard. No fluid in her chest or abdomen as far as I can tell.

I've got her in a pet carrier, her comb looks normal and her wheezing is slight, almost not there, when she's calm. She was scratching about in the pet carrier... so acting pretty much normal.

They had just had some cracked corn and BOSS, before I noticed her wheezing.

Just going to have to wait and see... I'm not throwing medicine at something I can't even diagnose. Antibiotics are pointless against a virus anyway. Probably going to feed the crew some garlic/cinnamon/chili flake/oregano oil booster... haven't given that to them in a while.

Got a 'sick' chicken on my hands
he.gif

My white rock was wheezing this morning, comb looking dark red, almost purple-ey, looking a bit wide eyed. Someone had nicked her wattle and it was bleeding a bit.. which to me is a possible sign of someone in the flock trying to drive out or challenge the weaker bird. No coughing, no gagging, no sneezing, no head shaking, no 'gaping'... her throat appears to be clear. She laid yesterday and is still eating and drinking. Crop has some food in it, it's not full or hard. No fluid in her chest or abdomen as far as I can tell.

I've got her in a pet carrier, her comb looks normal and her wheezing is slight, almost not there, when she's calm. She was scratching about in the pet carrier... so acting pretty much normal.

They had just had some cracked corn and BOSS, before I noticed her wheezing.

Just going to have to wait and see... I'm not throwing medicine at something I can't even diagnose. Antibiotics are pointless against a virus anyway. Probably going to feed the crew some garlic/cinnamon/chili flake/oregano oil booster... haven't given that to them in a while.

Oh no!! Do you think it's the beginning of a respiratory infection? I hope it's nothing serious.

Last edited:
Oh no!! Do you think it's the beginning of a respiratory infection? I hope it's nothing serious.

She started coughing this afternoon. Have not noticed anything in the others at all. She honestly sounds like someone trying to cough up mucus in their lungs.

She ate a bowl of food laced with cinnamon, oregano oil, chili flakes and two cloves of garlic. She actually picked the garlic out first and ate that first.

Not sure what to think... I wonder if she got some food in her windpipe or something, since it happened right after eating and she has not at all appeared sick.. ofcourse, birds are good at hiding sickness. She laid an egg in the pet carrier.. tried to peck me when I went to grab it, which is unusual for her. Guess I'd be a bit grumpy too if I was feeling bad.

If she passes or if she gets worse and I have to take her out of her misery, I will have to see about an autopsy, for the sake of the rest of the flock. Not sure how to go about that, we're not NPIP.. I may still give in and get Tylan.. I really don't want to start medicating my flock though, especially if it's not certain it's treatable with antibiotics, it seems like such a slippery slope.

Tom, you can ship the bird to the state lab for necropsy for $10 (plus postage.) There is one in Hanceville and one in Auburn. I don't think you have to be NPIP to take advantage of that, but they prefer you send the bird while it is still alive. I had a mystery disease killing off my birds last summer, and I sent them a total of three birds. It is not a quick answer, but they are thorough.

http://www.labs.alabama.gov/

Last edited:
For Sale, (4) five week old Buff Orpingtons, $5.00 each or $16. for all four . Also still have the New Hampshire pullets and Columbian Rock Cockerel for sale. Montevallo, Al.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom