ALABAMA!!

Most of the people that we've met have been very gracious. We've only been here since June and there do seem to be some folks that are a bit standoffish but I think it is more of a cocnern of how we may think of things or do things. Our local feed store's elderly owner frequently askes me if I had my passport when we moved here. LOL I think in our "neighborhood" (I don't know how else to describe it) nobody has wanted to cause bad blood with any of the other families. All of the streets around us are named after the families that first bought the land and whose relatives still live here. The most stupid thing is that apparently this owner doesn't even own any type of livestock. No chickens, cows, horses etc. So why they need to have LGDs I don't know.

I would have no problem shooting these dogs. I got alot of SSS but I am not digging 2 Grt Pyr size holes in clay soil. So, I'd either shoot and take them to their owner or stick them far out in the pasture for the vultures. But the dogs run when I approach, even if I'm just walking towards them. I am assuming they have been run off so many times that it is instinct to them. I discussed every possibility with the deputy yesterday and I can only shoot them on our property.

We have had one other dog show up here, twice. This was before we became gun owners and I ran it off with a bat. I asked around and nobody knows whose dog that was but it hasn't been back in months. The property is fenced but some of it is a little old. When these dogs got in before, I followed them to where they got out and blocked off those holes. Now they are coming through our neighbor's pasture and he only has cattle so 4 strands of barb wire. Most of this still has fencing over it but they got in at a section where the fencing had grown into a tree and been lifted.

The birds have a 40X50' fenced run but they like to be able to forage in the woods and creek (I have ducks too) and it helps me a bit with feed costs. I'm going to be vigilant for another day or 2 and keep a look out for the dogs before I let the birds out again.

I have Great Pyrenees. And they hate hot wire. My male accidentally touch the wire around the horse pasture. He will not go any where near there anymore. If you are able...maybe runs some closer to the ground. But be careful if your chickens could touch it.

I think y'all missed the line about a certain part of the population.
wink.png

I've been all over the state, met a bunch of fine people. And I've met my share of folks that are less than admirable in their ways.. I'm sure there's people like that in every state, but I can't speak for them. The ones I meant I have seen quite a lot. So quick to beat over the head with the bible (interpreted to suit their own ideals), then turn around do what's CLEARLY against that same bible. One man called me the devil once for working on Sunday, but.. he was right there, in my restaurant, BUYING food on Sunday. That's those disposable morals for you. These are the kind of folks that let their dogs run loose (or their children!) and come hollering at you if their pet or child gets hurt on YOUR property.

It was by no means an attack to anyone here. From what I can tell, none of you fit the bill of the type of person we're talking about.

Also, I think me and Jdy already agreed, that shooting a dog trespassing and hurting your animals is NOT the issue. My issue is with careless folks who let their animals run around like that. They don't care. They'll just get another one. Who cares, right?

Sorry if I offended, sure didn't mean it that way.

Tomtom, I'm a native Alabamian who has finally come back home after being away for many years and I can definitely agree that the kind of folks you are referring to are prolific here in Alabama but they are also everywhere else in this country too. I just think it's worse in some of these backwater places where everyone is related to everyone else and it's run sort of like the mafia...they really protect their own and everyone else is afraid of standing up to them. I know we've been in that situation before...so afraid to really take action against some dirt bags for fear that they would get back at us by hurting our animals who are outside during the day and vulnerable while we're away at work. It's a toxic environment for sure and I hope one day you can get to a better location.

After reading so many posts on here about roaming dogs, I've already had the discussion with the hubby about fencing in our entire 2.5 acres. When we first moved into the house back in November 2011, there was a couple of chows that ran through our yard almost every morning, making our two dogs on the inside of our fence go crazy. I was always terrified that they would manage to somehow get inside our fence. Our next door neighbors who have been in their house for several years told us that the chows attacked and killed the small dog of the woman who was renting the house before we purchased it. As usual, nothing was done about the dogs or to the owners. I don't see the chows anymore but I know there are others out there because they leave us little "gifts" in the form of large poo piles under our front hedge from time to time. It's about twice the size of our shephard mix's poo so I know it's got to be from a rather large dog as our shep mix is no small dog at 60 pounds herself.

I agree with the sentiment that it's not the dog's fault...heck, as my husband says, you can't get mad at a dog for being a dog, especially when it doesn't know any better. It's the dang fault of the owners who are the lazy, immoral ones, for allowing their animals to run free and kill things.
somad.gif
Sadly, the animals are almost always the ones who pay for their owner's neglect in one way or another. I don't even have chickens yet and I can't bear the idea of having them torn up by a roaming dog.

To that end, we are discussing how best to augment the coop and run to make sure that NOTHING can get in to our girls. I think we will run a hot wire about 12" off the ground all the way around the coop and run so no dogs, coyotes, possums, coons, etc. will want to mess around there. If I free range the flock, I will only do so while I'm outside to supervise them AND I'll have both my .22 and my shotgun with me should anything dare to approach them. I know we'll be burying the hardware cloth in the ground to prevent digging under and we'll be covering the run too, with either netting or chicken wire. Does anyone else on here have any good ideas or proven things you've done for security for coop/run?

I'm glad someone understood my ramblings haha.

Yeah, those are the people I am refering to. There's entire clusters of 'em around here. Sadly, my step-sons family is like that. Let's put it this way, the cops wont come out if you call about something concerning this particular family! (It's been a fun divorce/custody battle, as you can imagine.) I received death threats at work, fiance's brakes were cut, tires been slashed before etc. There were nights I was scared to be home alone.

It's really sad, but you nailed it. Mafia...

And they have no regard for other peoples lives, kids, animals or belongings.

Oh the stories... those folks took everything my fiance owned, straight out of his home, while he still lived there. They took his car, tv, stereo... his mother's jewelry.. and auctioned or pawned it. Heck, one of them stole his gun and used it for ill. *sigh* And the cops? "civil dispute" and wont do a thing.

Everyone knows everyone around here, don't mess with the wrong people, that's all I know..

All this talk sure does confuse a simple mind like mine. I am proud to be from Alabama but I am now having second thoughts about marrying my double first cousin.

Huntngwidow, that's what I am talking about. Made me laugh right out loud. Thank you
I know this is serious business. Iam convinced a little laughter makes any situation easier to handle.

Back
Top Bottom