ALABAMA!!

One more question, I have an eight week chick in a brooding pen. Is she too old to put baby chicks with? It's the only pen that I have that has a heat lamp. Also, with an eight week chick, how long does she need to stay with a lamp? I turned it off during the day for the last few days but have used it during the night. Thanks for any help!

One more question, I have an eight week chick in a brooding pen. Is she too old to put baby chicks with? It's the only pen that I have that has a heat lamp. Also, with an eight week chick, how long does she need to stay with a lamp? I turned it off during the day for the last few days but have used it during the night. Thanks for any help!
It would eat them up, yum yum. Dont mix chicks of different ages and size. You will have to wait until the chicks catch up in size with that oldest chicken. I think and eight week old would be fully feathered and would not need a heat lamp anymore, unless it is an only child and has no one to cuddle up with at night to stay warm with.

By 6 weeks peeps should have their body temp around 70 degrees and they don't really need a heat lamp. Your new chicks will need it much warmer than your 8 week old. Depends on the breeds but the 8 week old may bully the babies too. Or they'll all get along fine. I would monitor them after initially introducing them.

Last edited:
Okay experts, I have a question for you! If I have a hen and roo of the same breed in the same pen with all my other chickens and then decide that I want to separate them from the others to save the eggs to hatch, how long do I need to wait to start gathering her eggs to hatch to ensure that they are fertilized by him and not another roo? Also, if two chickens came from the same hatch, is it bad to breed them together?
The sperm from a roo can stay in a hen for 3 weeks. So separate them for over the three weeks to make sure you have the right roo fertilizing the eggs. Mating siblings will show any faults there are. You may end up with perfectly fine chicks, just have to try it and see.

Thanks so much for the help! I may have to build another small pen for the middle children! Oh my hubby will be thrilled! I'll have to come up with a way to have him think it's his idea! ;)

Question. My other 8 eggs in the incubator have not internally pipped yet. I candled a couple last night and I couldn't see movement inside. They have, however, rubbed the membrane off of the inside of the shell right under the air cell. (When I say rubbed off, I mean the shell looks more opaque, but from the inside). Should I start worrying yet??

Question. My other 8 eggs in the incubator have not internally pipped yet. I candled a couple last night and I couldn't see movement inside. They have, however, rubbed the membrane off of the inside of the shell right under the air cell. (When I say rubbed off, I mean the shell looks more opaque, but from the inside). Should I start worrying yet??
Also, they are supposed to hatch Sunday night.

I live in auburn! Does anyone deal with ducks In here? I hatched my first mallards this week! Also I am looking for some silkies or showgirls!! And a mallard hen!

Last edited:
This is what the several of the eggs look like. The lowest pencil line is where the air cell is and that opaqueness is right below it. I still can't see any movement in the egg. Anybody know what's going on?

I live in auburn! Does anyone deal with ducks In here? I hatched my first mallards this week! Also I am looking for some silkies or showgirls!! And a mallard hen!
I will be hatching out silkie chicks through the next three weeks or so if chicks interest you. I will PM with details.

Back
Top Bottom