ALABAMA!!

Okay, Alabama folks, I just have to share this.  I know...it's probably something pretty silly to get excited about...but I AM so excited! :weee

I just peeled my first baked "hard boiled" egg and it was a dream!  The egg was only about two days old so I honestly didn't expect this method of baking to work for me either, since boiling fresh eggs does NOT work for me at all, no matter what I do...but this did!  I baked some eggs in a muffin pan on 325 for 25 minutes then immediately put them into an ice water bath for about 5 minutes, then into the refrigerator.  Not only did the egg peel easily with no loss of white, but the egg itself was so good.  The yellow wasn't hard or rubbery but nice and creamy.  I am a convert!
I love :drool hard boiled eggs and now I don't have to "age" my eggs just so they will peel.

Has anyone else done this?
Hey that's great, I'll give it a try too. Did you put water in the muffin pan cups with each egg? Chirp

Okay, Alabama folks, I just have to share this. I know...it's probably something pretty silly to get excited about...but I AM so excited!
wee.gif

I just peeled my first baked "hard boiled" egg and it was a dream! The egg was only about two days old so I honestly didn't expect this method of baking to work for me either, since boiling fresh eggs does NOT work for me at all, no matter what I do...but this did! I baked some eggs in a muffin pan on 325 for 25 minutes then immediately put them into an ice water bath for about 5 minutes, then into the refrigerator. Not only did the egg peel easily with no loss of white, but the egg itself was so good. The yellow wasn't hard or rubbery but nice and creamy. I am a convert!
I love
droolin.gif
hard boiled eggs and now I don't have to "age" my eggs just so they will peel.

Has anyone else done this?
I'll have to try it but I will have to use old store bought eggs.
sad.png

I wonder if it will work the same.

Quote: I don't see why it wouldn't. The main reason it is so difficult to successfully peel hard boiled eggs that are fresh is because the contents haven't shrunk with age. Store bought eggs are typically old enough that it isn't an issue. I have "aged" my homegrown eggs by as much as two weeks and still had a problem peeling them.

As I understand it, baking the eggs, with no moisture added, causes the contents to slightly shrink as the egg cooks and becomes solid, detaching from the membrane that is attached to the shell. When you boil them, they don't shrink but actually expand a bit due to the increased water content - which is why you have a mess if a shell cracks while boiling eggs.

I don't see why it wouldn't. The main reason it is so difficult to successfully peel hard boiled eggs that are fresh is because the contents haven't shrunk with age. Store bought eggs are typically old enough that it isn't an issue. I have "aged" my homegrown eggs by as much as two weeks and still had a problem peeling them.

As I understand it, baking the eggs, with no moisture added, causes the contents to slightly shrink as the egg cooks and becomes solid, detaching from the membrane that is attached to the shell. When you boil them, they don't shrink but actually expand a bit due to the increased water content - which is why you have a mess if a shell cracks while boiling eggs.
You know I never had a problem when I had fresh eggs. But then again I always add a little bit of vinegar when I'm boiling eggs to make it easier to peel.

Had one peeping earlier and a second egg has pipped. So.. we're alive! I think the trouble with candling was because the eggs looked completely dark. No light shining through at all.

You will need to keep the humidity high at this point or the chicks will dry out and stick to the shell. They dry out quickly once they pip. 85% to 90% is a good number to shoot for. You can do this by putting a large shallow pan of warm water ( 99 to 100 deg.) in the incubator. You can increase the evaporation by putting sponges in the water. You will also need to keep the incubator closed to retain the moisture.

Be patient, it can take 24 hours or longer for the chicks to get out after they pip. Good luck.

Last edited:
I have to work on the humidity. It's fairly humid in my house, but not around the 90% mark. With it being a makeshift incubator, I will have to find a way to cover it and still get enough heat from the lamp.

I knew they would take 24-48 hours to get to actually being hatched, so we're good there.

Temp has been really consistent 99.4 - 99.6F, happy with that for sure. So, minor issue of humidity. I will be home ALL weekend, so I can care for the little uns. I will manually keep them moist with paper towels/spray bottle if I have to.

No I just put them in the pan dry.  There was a little brown spot on the egg where the shell was touching the pan while it cooked but it didn't change the taste at all so I wasn't worried about it.  If you try it let me know if it works.  Good luck!
I sure will, thanks! (Right now don't have extras to spare, but will do as soon as these 12 pullets get there vents in gear!!! :lau) Chirp

vimeo_logo.png

Just thought I'd share this video of our hen, Helen, playing chicken keep away with an unfortunate toad that hopped into the wrong place at the wrong time. Sadly, Helen did not get a chance to enjoy her treat because about 10 seconds after this video ends another hen tackled her and stole the toad.

Back
Top Bottom