ALABAMA!!

Pullets mean eggs quicker. But slower to bond. Chicks take longer.. but you get to bond. Chicks means possible rooster.... There's pros and cons both ways.

I like getting chicks because it's easier to quarantine chicks (they're in a brooder anyway). And they're cheaper.... and the kids love getting babies.

You're only getting two though... running a heatlamp for two chicks may be a little silly. Harder to keep warm.
You can put a lower watt bulb. I use a 45 when there are just a few.

Mine orpingtons were very friendly like dogs. They would come when I called. Sit on my lap and get petted. I've even taught them several tricks using the clicker. What drove me mad about those chicken is when I let my dogs go outside to potty. When they come in the house the chicken would try to come in with them. Had to kick the chickens out all the time.
roll.png
My chickens sneak in the doggie door too. I had an EE hen sneak in really early one morning and wake me up for snuggles.

Does anyone have or know anyone that has guineas and turkeys? I have two guineas that need girlfriends and so does Max. I have been given a few peoples numbers but they never follow thru. I don't want to have them shipped because they do so poorly and I hve to buy so many. I only need 4 turkey eggs and 5 guinea eggs.

My chicks are here! They all seem active and not sleepy or lethargic and are chirping loudly.
big_smile.png
They sent 6 packing peanuts with my 12 pullet order. 4 of my Ameraucana's are the chipmunk looking ones.. (supposed to have 6) one is a smudge of brown and beige no stripes and the other is blended in with all the other buff/ creamy white ones... I hope lol My dog could care less she's curled up on the couch sleeping!

4-H chicken chain info is available for most Alabama counties now. They just posted DeKalb counties yesterday. DD wants to join this year, it will be our first time participating. Seems like a lot less chicks than I remember reading about in the past, and only take 3 to the fair instead of 5. USPS increase in live shipping rates probably had a part in the change?

SO GLAD TO HEAR THAT! Congrats icandi.

I have pondered ordering from Ideal, but frankly, their shipping rates confuse the HECK out of me. $0.15 per chick for air travel, $7 for small orders, $1 per breed/sex.... what?

I want NEED some babies!

Last edited:
SO GLAD TO HEAR THAT! Congrats icandi.

I have pondered ordering from Ideal, but frankly, their shipping rates confuse the HECK out of me. $0.15 per chick for air travel, $7 for small orders, $1 per breed/sex.... what?

I want NEED some babies!
Their shipping is a bit weird but what they do is any order less than 100 chicks is a $7 fee. After that every breed and every gender such as strait run/pullets/ males is $1 each different kind in your cart. Then the shipping and handling per amount of birds is minimal really. My shipping for 12 pullets was $1.80 so other than the cost of birds themselves my total was
4 breeds of pullets= $4
small box charge= $7
S/H= $1.80
so $12.80 total plus cost of my chicks.
Does that make sense now?

Since some of my boys are the same color as my Buff Orpingtons.. I'm not sure which are which lol.

The green is their grogel and the stuff on top of the paper towels is what they were packed with.

Their shipping is a bit weird but what they do is any order less than 100 chicks is a $7 fee. After that every breed and every gender such as strait run/pullets/ males is $1 each different kind in your cart. Then the shipping and handling per amount of birds is minimal really. My shipping for 12 pullets was $1.80 so other than the cost of birds themselves my total was
4 breeds of pullets= $4
small box charge= $7
S/H= $1.80

Since some of my boys are the same color as my Buff Orpingtons.. I'm not sure which are which lol.

The green is their grogel and the stuff on top of the paper towels is what they were packed with.
Do you have any idea what the packing peanuts are? I didn't know if they tell you.

4 breeds of pullets= $4
small box charge= $7
S/H= $1.80

Thank you for clarifying that! Seems their shipping rates are more reasonable than other places...... I may have to bite the bullet. Ofcourse I'm one of those folks that likes to buy one of everything
lol.png

They're adorable.

Back
Top Bottom