ALABAMA!!

The killing spree continues. Found a dead slw chick in the nest. Went to removed rest of the slw eggs from nest but could not find any of the slw eggs. They are all gone! The orps are hatching so hopefully they will not kill them off as they hatch. Moved 2 orp egg into the incubator just case they do. This way at least I will have a couple to show for. oMG! Never thought they will do this type of stuff. They are all nesting together so no idea who is doing all this.

ORPS,
Bummer on those eggs, I was hoping to see what the SLW chicks look like. The 2 moms are SLW and the Roo is GLW so I was interested in seeing how they looked since none of mine have hatched yet.

I want to see the Orps too. The moms are hatchery stock Buff Orps, 1 of which was a Buff/Blue I hatched out last year when I still had a Blue Orp and the Roo is a Big Black (English?) Orp that Wisher hatched and I got from Meloni when I went down to Birmingham last August.

So far I have only hatched 3 Silkies and 1 Phoenix, The Phoenix was dead when I checked to see if I had any babies that day. I don't know if she got stepped on or what.

Did any of the Quail hatch?

Jayare

Kimberly I am interested in the Dorkings. Are they the ones in the pics? Beautiful birds. I think I have enough lumber to build my coop. I will post pics of my progress. I can't wait to have birds in the back yard!

Orps-- Are you sure you don't have a snake eating those eggs??

Shannon -- they look AMAZING!! I think the cockerals have more length than the boy you gave back to me!! (hard to eat them, isn't it??) lol
So many other breeds hit puberty, and killing them is beyond easy. These guys are so easy going. I just love them and do fully intend to start filling the freezer with them (as soon as I have them all across Alabama!!!) They are, after all, a utility heritage farm bird.

Chickhead -- you're in Montgomery...CLOSE!! I have been know to do a fall hatch for a person from time to time
big_smile.png
Get your coop ready, and I'd advise getting "test" chickens to find your "holes" lol

ORPS,
Bummer on those eggs, I was hoping to see what the SLW chicks look like. The 2 moms are SLW and the Roo is GLW so I was interested in seeing how they looked since none of mine have hatched yet.

I want to see the Orps too. The moms are hatchery stock Buff Orps, 1 of which was a Buff/Blue I hatched out last year when I still had a Blue Orp and the Roo is a Big Black (English?) Orp that Wisher hatched and I got from Meloni when I went down to Birmingham last August.

So far I have only hatched 3 Silkies and 1 Phoenix, The Phoenix was dead when I checked to see if I had any babies that day. I don't know if she got stepped on or what.

Did any of the Quail hatch?

Jayare

I've pulled one of the slw egg. Before the rest went missing. It hatched to a glw. And I think one the mystery egg was also a glw. Found another in th nest today. The orp hatched with incomplete dominance of either color so They are brown. Only 3 silkie made it out alive. Left with 1 gray, 1 black, and a chipmunk looking one. I have 3 black ones that I have no clue to what they are. Maybe they are the Phoenix silkie. All in all only 12 survived. 3 of them I may have to put down. 2 yoke did not absorb. 1 took heavy damage from the chicken.

Oh, I think I know who was eating the egg and killing the chicks. It was my light brahma. My only chicken that did not go broody.

As for the quails. I hatched 4 of 5 eggs in the incubator.

Pretty sure this is a glw

Thus is either a partridge silkie or the Phoenix/silkie mix

The buff/Black orp

No idea. Buff/black orp? One of the unknown? Thought it might be a phoenix/silkie but no black skin or 5th toe.

The quails

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom