ALABAMA!!

I'm down in Harvest too! I don't have ducks, just chickies, maybe someone else close will find this thread! Welcome to ya
welcome-byc.gif

Hey y'all,

Does anybody want one of my Australorp hens? She is a sweet girl and
Easy to handle, but the others peck her head when I put her in with them.
I've had her separated for the last couple of weeks but tried putting her back in this
Morning. Instant chicken fight!

Let me know if you want to come get her.

Thanks,
Karen

Greetings from LA. I'm in NW Mobile County. No chickens yet, but my son and I will start working on our coop when it gets a little cooler. My dad raised Pharaoh quail for years and I was heavily involved with all aspects of the raising, from the incubator to brooder to fattening pen before butchering and cleaning. I am looking forward to having fresh eggs and knowing where my table fare came from and what it was fed. I've gotten a lot of ideas from this website and look forward to many more.
big_smile.png

Ekemily
Thanks for the welcome. What type chickens do you have? Do they do well in our Gulf Coast weather? I think the coop I build will have one entire wooden wall that opens and there would be hardware cloth to allow ventilation plus roof vents. All of that will by under tin which should give them a cooler area to get in on our hot days. Plus it will be raised so they can get under it as well. Any suggestions on what you have done or wished you had done?

Hi folks!
Just moved to Montgomery and I'm in the process of building a chicken arc for the backyard.... any tips on breeds that do well down here, and suppliers for feed, waterers, troughs, etc? Any info would be appreciated! I'll also be looking to get 2 chickens in about a week, if anyone is selling. I'm looking at the following breeds as options: Australorp, Brahma, Dominique, Langshan, Marans, Orpington, Sussex, Wyandotte. I'm a novice so any info on these breeds in this climate, as well as where to get stuff around here would be great. Thanks!

Hey Julia,

Welcome to Alabama, if you're new to the state! I have a 4x6 ark in my backyard here in Hoover.
We did have five hens in it but the heat stress caused a couple of them to fight, so one found a new home
yesterday. I think she will be happy there.

We tried buff orpingtons last summer and they didn't make it through. I don't know if it was the heat that killed them, or what,
since they are a heavy breed. Two of the gold laced wyadottes made it just fine and they are still healthy and laying this summer.
I replaced the orpingtons with Australorps and they seem to be doing well with the heat. My husband's grandmother raised
Dominiques in Florida when he was a kid, so I guess they take the heat pretty well, too.

I use Tractor Supply Company in Chelsea for all of my supplies, but that's a little far for you to come. There is a TSC on Troy Highway not far past Bell Road. There is also one in Millbrook.

Good luck getting started,

Cheers,
Karen

Welcome to BYC. I live near Anniston, AL. I have Welsummers, Silkies, Wyandottes, Brahmas, Orpingtons, and Easter Eggers. They all do well here. Folks near here have RIR's, Leghorns, Dominiques. I believe our hot summers are harder on the chickens than our winter temperatures. I provide shaded areas, plenty of fresh cool water, and also misting from the hose on really hot days. Cool treats like watermelon can help during exteme heat. You'll find tons of info here on BYC.
wink.png

Welcome Julia.

I'm up in Harvest and just completed a chicken tractor for 4-5 hens. That's a story and a half but for an old lady with no carpentry skills, it didn't come out too bad. I'll have to post some pics when I figure out how.

I'm looking for some barred rocks maybe 16+ weeks old or more. I'd consider RIRs or Austrolorps. Basically I want dual purpose large egg layers with calm dispositions who won't be too broody.

Anyone know where I can get a few hens in Northern Alabama or Southern Middle Tennessee?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom