ALABAMA!!

welcome-byc.gif
Julie_A!

I'm in NE Alabama,Pell City, just a bit from Odenville(firem3) and Oneonta(mcg30_40) and Argo(dracos68).
Glad to see there's more addicted to chickens that are close by.
clap.gif

I've got Buff Orpingtons too and love the breed.
Don't need more roos though, sorry!

Wow, that sounds very tempting but I already have about 65 chicks and chickens and 10 more baby RIR's comming in on Friday or Saturday. Plus 6 Turkeys, 6 Guineas and 7 ducks. The goats sound nice too. I would like to get 1 or 2 and have them eat up a spot in my backyard that has a bunch of Vaginia creeper, hunnysuckles and poison ivy growing so I can build more coops or maybe have a pool dug there someday, but what do I do with them after 2 weeks when they have it all cleared up? I have been tempted to ask a guy down the road if I could "RENT" a couple of his goats for a couple of weeks to get it cleared out.
A lady at work has a daughter that has 3 pot bellied pigs she is looking for a home for and I asked my wife if we should get them and she said NO, we have too many animals as it is.
I guess I should have looked for more than 8 acres to buy...:eek:

Jayare

spelling errors

Last edited:
The goats sound nice too. I would like to get 1 or 2 and have them eat up a spot in my backyard...

but what do I do with them after 2 weeks when they have it all cleared up?

First you ice down the Bud, then you fire up the pit Barbeque.
ya.gif

Wow, have posted before (even went to Florence and picked up some chicks from PearlD - thanks!), but didn't see the AL connections.

I live in Corner, AL, which is N of B'ham, halfway between Sumiton and Hayden. I've got 18 6 m/o chicks, of which 6 have turned out to be roos. I got 12 of the mixed bag from PearlD, some RIR/Hoodan/Australorp mix??? The roos are from that batch. I was also given 6 OEG pullets. Next weekend, I'll be down to 1 roo and 5 whole chickens in the freezer!

None of the pullets are laying yet...don't know if they are slow to mature or if they are hiding the eggs from me. I've searched high and low to no avail, so maybe they are just being stubborn. Does anyone know if the old farmer's method of measuring a finger's width between the rear "spines" on pullets will tell you if they are laying or not?? Some old timer told me 1 finger = not laying, but two fingers and they are laying. So far, only a single finger's width on my hens.

In addition to the chicks, 1 understanding wife, 3 - 4 y/o kids (b/g/g triplets!), and a 18 week old lab/pyrenees puppy who has caught on to helping me round up and herd the chickens (finally earned his keep after chewing up everything in the yard that wasn't tied down).

Plan to expand next spring and focus on pullets for eggs and "pets" and raise 20-30 meat birds for personal use and to sell.

Would like to meet some of you if our paths ever cross.

Thanks,

Ben

Hey Ben,
I live just 3 miles down the road from PearlD and I got 1 of her Houdan chicks also a couple months ago. Mine was a Pullet
big_smile.png
and I just gave it away to my neighbor yesterday. It was a cute mottled looking Houdan and looked like it was from one of her RIR hens.

Does anybody in the area want some DUCK EGGS??? I am getting about 2 eggs a day now. I have 12 duck eggs and about 25 chicken eggs in the bator that are due to hatch on Sep 4th if they hatch and I will have some of them available too.

Jayare

Back
Top Bottom