Alaska, are you getting ready for Mt. Redoubt eruption?

It may be...
hide.gif

Last edited:
my SIL lives in Palmer and has been calling every couple hours to update us down here
hide.gif
she has never lived anywhere but here in NC so she's a little excited..She moved up to Wasilla about 2 years ago.

Ash is soooo messy. Mount St. Helens ash was light, any breath of air or a passing car raised a cloud. And, the ash doesn't like to go away. Rain will cause it to settle until it dries then the ash begins to blow around again. The trees harbor the ash for years - shake a tree and cover yourself with ash.

One of the problems is that a volcano doesn't erupt often during one's lifetime - Thank Heavens! We didn't have a clue how dangerous the ash was and what to do about living with it. How much of a problem it would be for our machinery, etc.? For years after, you could recognize a Mt. St. Helens car by the damage to the windshield. I wonder if you can recognize the damage to our lungs.

The best thing to do is to move before it erupts - if that isn't in the cards, just "hunker down" as long as possible. The timing couldn't be much better - indoors with gray snow and rain falling may be tolerable in January & February. We benefited from an unusual and blessed rainy Summer in 1980.

I don't suppose there could be a more self-sufficient group of Americans than those found in Alaska - probably well-stocked for Winter storms. Don't be fool-hardy - there are no "points" to be gained by braving something like this. One may as well walk out into the desert in a dust storm.

Our prayers should be that there is little ashfall. It is amazing how nasty the stuff can be.

Steve

digitS' :

Ash is soooo messy. Mount St. Helens ash was light, any breath of air or a passing car raised a cloud. And, the ash doesn't like to go away. Rain will cause it to settle until it dries then the ash begins to blow around again. The trees harbor the ash for years - shake a tree and cover yourself with ash.

One of the problems is that a volcano doesn't erupt often during one's lifetime - Thank Heavens! We didn't have a clue how dangerous the ash was and what to do about living with it. How much of a problem it would be for our machinery, etc.? For years after, you could recognize a Mt. St. Helens car by the damage to the windshield. I wonder if you can recognize the damage to our lungs.

The best thing to do is to move before it erupts - if that isn't in the cards, just "hunker down" as long as possible. The timing couldn't be much better - indoors with gray snow and rain falling may be tolerable in January & February. We benefited from an unusual and blessed rainy Summer in 1980.

I don't suppose there could be a more self-sufficient group of Americans than those found in Alaska - probably well-stocked for Winter storms. Don't be fool-hardy - there are no "points" to be gained by braving something like this. One may as well walk out into the desert in a dust storm.

Our prayers should be that there is little ashfall. It is amazing how nasty the stuff can be.

Steve

That's what I was thinking of when I said I'd just sit on my porch and enjoy the fireworks if Yellowstone erupted. Can't escape the ash.​

I feel for you, I was there for St. Helens when it blew, I've got my little bottle sitting here on my desk where I can see it and remind myself that we are only allowed to live on this Earth by a greater power. I hope it doesn't cause you much problems and that it's indigestion goes away.

Back
Top Bottom