Alaska Chicken Lover's Soup for the Cold!!

I guess it's actually Palmer area, but I got an email from a friend to warn anyone you might know out that way. They've locked down the schools over this.

That's interesting E... I hadn't heard. Carmen, the advice I got was the same as Paula Joanne's .... Just feed them without the fishmeal supplement for 10 days to 2 weeks before butchering and the flavor should leave the meat.

Thanks for the advice Paula and Donna. I think that is what I will do.

I got my confirmation letter from Sandhill Preservation. They said they are pretty tightly booked for the Delawares and White Chanteclers for the times I had asked for, so we will see. I also ordered some Welsh Harlequins and surprise geese from Holderreads. I am so excited!!

Now I am off to do research on automatic coop doors as DH doesn't want me babysitting birds all summer.
smile.png
Any thoughts on those?

Deb, I would love to have the guy if I had space. But I don't. I was busy making chicken saddles for some of my slower birds today. The ones that don't move fast enough are loosing feathers on their backs from those two blue incredible hulks I have out there, not to mention my del and a cowardly RIR. Too many roos and not enough girls equals a lot of excercise for some girls and feather loss for the less athletic girls of the flock.

A funny thing happened tonight while DD and I were fitting a saddle on a hen. My pastor called. He could tell it was not a good time to talk and asked what I was doing. I told him I was putting dresses on my chickens because the roosters were wearing their feathers off. He chuckled and said something about those floozies I had out at the coop.
lau.gif

Rachel, I saw on the AK Farm and Food site that you had moved into Anchorage from Sutton. I must have missed that somewhere along the line. What happened?

Hey ladies! And IIF, OF COURSE, ;0)
How is everyone?
I like our FB thing, but I also miss the everyday stuff we used to post here.
I'm getting all fired up for spring, hurry up and wait, LOL.

On another note, yesterday I spilled some water on the thresh-hold of my chicken coop, and today the door was frozen shut! I was getting the goats blood drawn for disease testing and didn't have much time to mess with it, so no egg collection today. Luckily I know they have food and water in there, and they can at least get out the pop door. I'm hoping I don't have to go in that way tomorrow morning!

Hi Alaksa Animal Lover
big_smile.png
my chickens spill all the time i think i finnaly think i got it too where they cant spill it finnaly.I bought a flock block it is funny watching them pecking at it
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom