Alaskan neighbors come on out

I am here Terrisa, don't you fret
smile.png

I live in North Pole, Alaska which is located 15 miles outside of Fairbanks and between Ft.Wainright Army Base and Eielson AFB. We have extremes in where in this location. We can get colder than -60 in the winter without wind chill and warm than +90 in the summer. We also range between 3 hours of daylight in December to 24 hours of light in June. I live on 1.5 acre lot and have more chickens than a person can know what to do with, lol as well as 20+ ducks, 2 guinea hens, and four turkeys. When you add in the dog, four cats, and four kids under 12 it leads to a busy day.

I am working on eventual starting a serious breeding program for my local area, offering chicks that don't have to be shipped. This year I am hatching out large barnyard mixes and coordinating some mail ordering.

Leslie
cool.png

Hi!
We're in Wasilla and brand spankin' new, well, soon to be, chicken owners. Starting to build the chicken coop this weekend.
big_smile.png
Chickens to follow shortly.

Any advice and tips, do's and don'ts for a hardy Alaskan chicken coop greatly appreciated.
wink.png

Gayle

Hi Gayle, Lots of insulation, a couple of heat lamps, and an electric fence to keep the bears out. thats about all the advice i've got the rest is a bit of trial and error.
Good luck

Chickens can live in the "North Pole"
lau.gif
I think Alaska might be alittle chilly for me. Been too long in Florida to remember what winters are like.

Just gotta give you guys credit for keeping your babier comfy during the cold. I whine when I have to do stuff at 30 degress.

Shannon

This is great to see folks from alaska here. As far as shelters, when you insulate be sure to use a foam board instead of fiberglass as during the freeze and thaw times the latter tends to get a lot of moisture and looses it's insulating properties. Make sure they are completely draft free and they will do fine in the worst of winters. I only add the heat lamps once it dips to -10 below. (of course unless you have youngins)

Hmm, question. Any of you in the matsu valley have an extra female ringneck pheasant?

We have a feed store down here that has some, or at least they did last week. CadRe feed in Soldotna Try giving them a call. I fly up to anchorage for work quite often if you need one (or more) brought up let me know.

Well I'm not quite Alaskan yet but we will be leaving our home in SC on 3/28 heading to the big town of Central,AK

My goal is to have about 15 hens and a rooster. I am hoping for some good ideas on raising a flock there.

Back
Top Bottom