Alberta died in my arms today.

Happy hen lover

Free Ranging
Jan 14, 2021
SW Nebraska
I had a year old Speckled Sussex that I noticed looked pathetic. Pale comb, lost weight, no eggs, holding tail to side, lethargic, almost a yellow hue to her comb and eye area, wasn't eating and a dirtyish butt. I gave her butt a bath and noticed she was gurgling with breathing and didn't fight off bathing her. So I decided to quarantine her and sat down to calm her and she threw her head back to breathe gave one good kick and flopped over and died :hit . DANG IT ! No mites or lice my DH helped cut her open and all looked well organ wise ( at least to me no worms in intestines no foul smell ) I'm thinking heat stress. She was drinking electrolyte water a lot. RIP Girl

Attachments

• PXL_20210220_173821104.jpg
    PXL_20210220_173821104.jpg
    647 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20201208_142944.jpg
    IMG_20201208_142944.jpg
    918 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20210220_173816560.jpg
    PXL_20210220_173816560.jpg
    960.3 KB · Views: 7
I had a year old Speckled Sussex that I noticed looked pathetic. Pale comb, lost weight, no eggs, holding tail to side, lethargic, almost a yellow hue to her comb and eye area, wasn't eating and a dirtyish butt. I gave her butt a bath and noticed she was gurgling with breathing and didn't fight off bathing her. So I decided to quarantine her and sat down to calm her and she threw her head back to breathe gave one good kick and flopped over and died :hit . DANG IT ! No mites or lice my DH helped cut her open and all looked well organ wise ( at least to me no worms in intestines no foul smell ) I'm thinking heat stress. She was drinking electrolyte water a lot. RIP Girl
I’m so sorry. I know exactly how it feels. Sounds like you were doing all you could. You loved her to the end which is the best thing you could have done. Hope you feel better soon.:hugs

I am so sorry that you lost your girl. I always try to take some comfort in knowing I gave them a good life, especially when I can spend their last minutes with them, as you did with your Alberta.

She looks so much like my Sussex, Bronwyn, that I think I'll give my girl an extra treat today -- in Alberta's honor. Take care.

Back
Top Bottom