albino sparrow(pic)

Quote:
Bugies(parakeets) that get loose, often adopt and get adopted by, a flock of local birds.
I can't see what kind of bird that is though,
and I doubt it would hook up and nest with a different species.

When I was 11 I got in the local newspaper for finding an Albino Robin; It was white with a pink breast and I think it had red eyes but I dont remeber for sure.

Last edited:
It would be rare indeed--especially 2. And yes, albinos are way more susceptible to predation as well as they often can't find a mate, because they don't have the visual features they need....and then there's the whole sun issue. True albinos will have red looking eyes, since they have no pigments--so you basically see the blood color throught their skin and membranes.

If it's truly nesting with a sparrow it probably is one...but I must say...this is one where I'd say I have to see it to believe it. (nothing personal!)

Oh...and there's no way it's a parakeet...the bill is ALL wrong.

Sandra

def. not a parakeet but very very cute! consider yourself grateful to have such a beautiful creature outside your house
love.gif
keep us updated on what the babies look like!

Ok I went to the handy dandy birdforum which is where i get all my wildbird info at since their awesome experienced people! Anyway they say it's either an albino if it has red eyes or leucistic House Sparrow which makes sense, if you stare at the face it look like a house sparrow. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
The pic wouldn't load for me, but I just wanted to say that you reminded me of something I'd seen about 15 years ago. There was an albino bird of some kind (I wasn't good at all identifying them back then!) living near our house.

I do know it wasn't any kind of released hookbill (cage birds were the only kind I did know well) but was some wild songbird. It was white though. I saw it flying around over a period of at least 7 months or so, so it did last for a while. Don't know if it was killed by a predator or migrated after that.

We also had an albino squirrel running around outside around that time.

trish

Back
Top Bottom