All about garden herbs

A few herbs grow on their own in my place (and some are pretty invasive) : peppermint, flat parsley, lemon balm, sage, thyme, oregano, savory, juniper.
I've added lemon verbena, chives, spearmint, curly parsley, rosemary, lavenders, coriander, basil.
I would love to grow ginger, though our climate is very dry. Maybe I'll try next year.
To help basil develop you can pinch the tip and it will divide and grow new stems.
I don't thing curly parsley tastes like flat at all, I think flat tastes much nicer and is more complex, slightly closer to coriander.

A few herbs grow on their own in my place (and some are pretty invasive) : peppermint, flat parsley, lemon balm, sage, thyme, oregano, savory, juniper.
I've added lemon verbena, chives, spearmint, curly parsley, rosemary, lavenders, coriander, basil.
I would love to grow ginger, though our climate is very dry. Maybe I'll try next year.
To help basil develop you can pinch the tip and it will divide and grow new stems.
I don't thing curly parsley tastes like flat at all, I think flat tastes much nicer and is more complex, slightly closer to coriander.
I try to keep all my mint (spearmint and pineapple mint) in containers since it can be invasive. However I've noticed that the plants start to look ragged after the first year. They are never as lush and full. By year 3,they look even sorrier. Doesn't matter if I give them lots of compost or even Miracle Grow. So I'm wondering if I need to generally reseed my mints every year just to propagate for poor regeneration.

Thoughts?

I try to keep all my mint (spearmint and pineapple mint) in containers since it can be invasive. However I've noticed that the plants start to look ragged after the first year. They are never as lush and full. By year 3,they look even sorrier. Doesn't matter if I give them lots of compost or even Miracle Grow. So I'm wondering if I need to generally reseed my mints every year just to propagate for poor regeneration.

Thoughts?
No need to reseed. Just clone any existing mints. They are very easy to propagate. I think the problem is that they become root-bound in the container. Just clone the old mint and let them grow inside during the winter.

The parent mint will be hard to kill, but I did it via dehydration (putting it in my shed over the winter). This allows the roots to die and so they can break down to provide organic matter and nutrients back into the soil. Then you just plant the young mint in the spring. Here is the propagation process:

Last edited:

Thoughts?
U got any pics of yours?
I'll try to get some of mine tomorrow...mine are from seed this year and just look stringy...not full at all.

Back
Top Bottom