All Black Flock

Pics

Kajoda929

Songster
Apr 27, 2020
Central California
I have always loved black, especially with just a splash of color, so when I was finally able to start getting my chicks(very recent) I decided to be very picky. I will be starting out with four to five initial pure breeds(all black with their gorgeous shines) and laying different colored eggs...I plan to cross certain ones to try for solid black colored egg layers, which I know will take many years of trial and error and perfecting, but I am curious...Has anyone else ever tried something similar?

I have always loved black, especially with just a splash of color, so when I was finally able to start getting my chicks(very recent) I decided to be very picky. I will be starting out with four to five initial pure breeds(all black with their gorgeous shines) and laying different colored eggs...I plan to cross certain ones to try for solid black colored egg layers, which I know will take many years of trial and error and perfecting, but I am curious...Has anyone else ever tried something similar?
This is really cool. It's really striking to have an all black flock. Curious, what breeds did you pick?

Are you also considering some Ayam Cemani chickens???
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

I have a few, though the ones I have currently are not pure...They would still be ok as a mix, since the white would fade, but they are a flawed line. I have some set in motion for next season that will be 6th and 7th generation pure though!

I currently have Black Ameraucanas, Ayam Cemani, Sumatras on their way, and have been talking to a member here about some Penedesenca as well! My final breed that I'm not sure if I will be able to get ahold of is only in India and I can't seem to find anyone in the States that has/breeds them...

Maybe black silkies, black copper marans, black ameraucana to add interesting shapes and egg colors?

I'm not big on the look of the black silkies, personally, but was about to resolve to Black Copper Marans until I found a member here that had Black Penedesenca! They also lay dark brown/chocolate eggs, which is what I was looking for in a black chicken! I had pondered over French Black Marans, but their eggs aren't quite as dark

I have a few, though the ones I have currently are not pure...They would still be ok as a mix, since the white would fade, but they are a flawed line. I have some set in motion for next season that will be 6th and 7th generation pure though!

I currently have Black Ameraucanas, Ayam Cemani, Sumatras on their way, and have been talking to a member here about some Penedesenca as well! My final breed that I'm not sure if I will be able to get ahold of is only in India and I can't seem to find anyone in the States that has/breeds them...
Sound like you will have a very pretty flock. Be sure to post pictures, we love chicken pics!

Mama's got a favorite(don't judge me!)

He's the only one of the five Cemani I got that was truly all black...And he's frickin' adorable Lol

Attachments

• 0511202149f~2.jpg
    0511202149f~2.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 0511202148~2.jpg
    0511202148~2.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 56

Back
Top Bottom