All chickens skinny help!

@katbriar , whatever you decide to get, ignore the dosing directions on the bottle or tube (horses), they're for goats, cattle, sheep, etc, not for chickens. Don't ask me why, but chickens, gamebirds and waterfowl get more per pound than the grass eaters.

The most effective Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound (20mg/kg). An average sized Rhode Island Red hen would get about 0.5ml (1/2 cc).

-Kathy

I actually got Tylan for pigeons and the dose was unreal. 1 tsp per liter! But different animal actually.

Feed stores usually carry it, look for "recleaned" wheat or barley seed. There are only 2 feed stores I know of in my general vicinity who don't carry either. I also grow fodder for my animals, everyone gets it - chickens, ducks, geese, rabbits, and goats.

Oh yeah, I know I got lucky. I had bought a bottle of Denegard online just in case, but never ended up having to use it. I was very fortunate my girl got better so fast. I know blackhead is a serious disease for turkeys and most die, I really wasn't counting on her getting better
sad.png
After she got sick and I started researching, I learned chickens are the carriers, so I separated my turks from the chickens that day, and was also very fortunate that no one else got sick. Just as a precautionary measure though, I did add cayenne pepper to their feed also, until I knew for sure they were all okay.

Dawg53, thank you for the info on treating blackhead with metronidazole, the cayenne pepper was a huge pain in the butt to work with and it took way too long for my liking...if a turkey in my next batch gets it by chance (I already have a pen set up for them that the chickens haven't been in, and I ran bleach through the soil, let it sit exposed to the sun for a week, sprinkled it with DE, and added about 3 feet of clean topsoil on top of the infected ground), then I will definitely treat with that.

We try to have as many options to choose from for customers. Being that we're in farming land, we get a lot of customers with decades of experience with different animals. I know of at least 2 people in every department to go to if I have questions for horses, cows, pigs, sheep, goats, peafowl, waterfowl, rabbits, and even chickens. It was with their knowledge and advice that we made our orders for various medicines. So far we haven't run into an issue that we didn't have what the customer was looking for
smile.png
We even bought 2 bottles of the Denegard to resell on our shelves, just to eliminate the need to wait for shipping. As far as I know, there are only 2 websites to buy it from - ValleyVet and QCSupply. I ordered from ValleyVet and it took 3 days to get here; that could be too long for some customers, so we have some ready and waiting just in case.

Where we live is pretty much boondocks, with the nearest feed store to us being 23 miles away (in Dayton), and the nearest ones after that are in Fallon and Carson City, which are both a little over 30 miles out. We try to carry as many necessities as possible to avoid the need for people to drive that far. I personally know how bad it sucks to need something and have to drive that friggin far to get it
he.gif

Hi Kathy,
You mentioned that Ivermetion is no longer recommended for worming chickens... I was told by my neighbor who has a huge flock that this is what she uses to prevent and kill gape worms etc.
What do you recommend. I appreciate any information here.
Thanks

Hi Kathy,
You mentioned that Ivermetion is no longer recommended for worming chickens... I was told by my neighbor who has a huge flock that this is what she uses to prevent and kill gape worms etc.
What do you recommend. I appreciate any information here.
Thanks

Kathy started a thread with some interesting facts. Take a look at post # 4 in addition to the rest of the thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-and-wormer-misinformations-graphic-pictures

Safeguard liquid *or* paste at 0.23ml per pound orally five days in a row will treat roundworms, cecal worms, gapeworms, capillary worms and possibly some species of tapeworms.

Valbazen at 0.08ml per pound orally once (repeat in ten days) will treat roundworms, cecal worms and a large percentage of capillary worms, *maybe* some tapeworms, and I think it would have to be given three days in a row to treat gapeworms, but don't quote me on that.

-Kathy

This is one of the ivermectin studies:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2816174
Ivermectin as a bird anthelmintic--trials with naturally infected domestic fowl.

Oksanen A, Nikander S.
Abstract

To evaluate the use of ivermectin as a bird anthelmintic, 29 White Leghorn hens naturally infected with Ascaridia spp., Heterakis spp. and Capillaria spp. were treated with 0.2, 2 or 6 mg/kg intramuscularly or 0.2 or 0.8 mg/kg orally. Faecal samples were collected before treatment and at autopsy, 2, 6, or 16 days after treatment, when the intestines were also examined for helminths. None of the treatments gave satisfactory anthelmintic results.

I am sad to here that all I know to do is a bit on the expensive side, I know that chickens like dried or live meal worms and as for the polish try cherry tomatoes, grapes, or watermelon the chickens will go nuts for the treats and can gain a bit of weight and, once you have them eating then mix oyster shells into their food, and they will hopefully lay more eggs, keep us posted and I hopefor the best.

This is one I found about gapes in pheasants:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9269125
Anthelmintic efficacy of ivermectin against Syngamus trachea and Capillaria spp. in pheasant.

Lamka J1, Svobodová V, Slézková J.
Author information

• 1Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Charles University, Hradec Králové, Czech Republic. [email protected]
Abstract

Ivermectin (IVM) was perorally administered in dosage schemes 1 x 0.8 mg/kg of body weight (b.w.), 1 x 1.6 mg/kg h.w., 3 x 0.8 mg/kg b.w., and 3 x 1.6 mg/kg b.w. to pheasants infected by Syngamus trachea and Capillaria spp. The samples of faeces were coprologically examined. The clinical state of pheasant was controlled. In all of the used therapeutical schemes the helminthostatic or partially helminthocide effect against adults of worms was reached. The clinical signs of helmithoses were reduced only. IVM in tested doses is not possible to recommend as an effective drug of pheasant syngamosis and capillariosis.

Back
Top Bottom