All chickens skinny help!

I am sad to here that all I know to do is a bit on the expensive side, I know that chickens like dried or live meal worms and as for the polish try cherry tomatoes, grapes, or watermelon the chickens will go nuts for the treats and can gain a bit of weight and, once you have them eating then mix oyster shells into their food, and they will hopefully lay more eggs, keep us posted and I hopefor the best.
Wormer and poultry dust are cheap.

-Kathy

Wormer and poultry dust are cheap.

-Kathy
I know that but dont think that that will effect it, but it is worth a try and the fruit is also cheap, I had a dieing bird that ate the tomatoes or mainly their seeds in till the day she died and they might enjoy grass

Are you saying that you don't think the skinny chickens have worms? Or that worms or mites don't cause weight loss?

-Kathy
I am saying that becuase worms have not been seen in their poop that they could just be bored of just that one food, and they might also need a pre-talk

Quote: So tell me, do you think you would be able to see these worms in poop?

Those are cecal worms, and I think capillary worms are much smaller. Besides that, just because one can't see worms in poop doesn't mean anything.

Worms were not seen in this bird either:

Read this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-and-wormer-misinformations-graphic-pictures

-Kathy

Edited to add: @jgoldy2 , please don't think I'm picking on you, that's not my intent, I just lack decent writing skills, so many of my posts might sound harsh.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Just an FYI for those interested... A fellow BYCer sent me a PM about a skinny bird of theirs, so I suggested that they weigh the bird and dose with Safeguard for five days at 0.23ml per pound. Well they did, and now that bird is putting on weight. They also saw no worms in the poop.

-Kathy

Edited to add:
I'm not saying that all skinny birds will respond to worming, but it sure won't hurt to worm them and hope for the best.

Last edited:
okay makes sense, I dont know but I think that it could also be mites and Kathy I am not saying that you are wrong but mites could be really be affacting the chickens, you can buy the mite dust and I believe that if you apply it every day that it could be able to get the mites away.

okay makes sense, I dont know but I think that it could also be mites and Kathy I am not saying that you are wrong but mites could be really be affacting the chickens, you can buy the mite dust and I believe that if you apply it every day that it could be able to get the mites away.
Poultry dust is applied once, they every seven to ten days until all eggs have hatched, I think, *not* daily.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom