All chicks look like the dad

Here Peep Peep

Chirping
Aug 8, 2023
The rooster is a blue black ameraucana. His harem consists of a rir, a chocolate orpington, a blue black ameraucana, a fbcm, a golden comet and, an olive egger.
I know there was at least 1 chick that hatched from all but the black...some eggs were incubated and some the chocolate orpington hatched out, no blue eggs hatched.
My question is, why do all the chicks look the same...black with white chests and grey legs? A couple do have a yellow tinge to lower portion of white area though but, for the most part, they look the same

Last edited:
The rooster is a blue black ameraucana. His harem consists of a rir, a chocolate orpington, a blue black ameraucana, a fbcm, a golden comet and, an olive egger.
I know there was at least 1 chick that hatched from all but the black...some eggs were incubated and some the chocolate orpington hatched out, no blue eggs hatched.
My question is, why do all the chicks look the same...black with white chests and grey legs? A couple do have a yellow tinge to lower portion of white area though but, for the most part, they look the same
Black or blue color genetics are much more dominant, that is why if you have a pair of white and black silkies 50% or higher will be black. However this can depend on the breed or whether the hen was black or the rooster. Can you give pictures?

Last edited:
Also welcome to BYC!!! And a happy hello from Northern Italy! :welcome

I had the same happen. BCM rooster crossed with a Silver Laced Wyandotte and a Buff Brahma. All chicks were black, and females took after BCM dad. Combs and sizes inherited from both mom and dad.

5 backyard mix- BCM roo x Silver Laced Wyandotte hen and BCM roo x Buff Brahma hen
2 (brown) EE. Getting excited to get green eggs
Chicks 2023- 5 BCM mix, 2 EE.jpg

2 hens: from BCM roo x Buff Brahma hen
Cross BCM roo x Buff Brahma hen.jpg

Black or blue color genetics ate much more dominant, that is why if you have a pair of white and black silkies 50% or higher will be black. However this can depend on the breed or whether the hen was black or the rooster. Can you give pictures?

Attachments

• 20230809_134418.jpg
    20230809_134418.jpg
    1,014.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230809_142727.jpg
    20230809_142727.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230809_143833.jpg
    20230809_143833.jpg
    822.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230809_143907.jpg
    20230809_143907.jpg
    684.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230809_143944.jpg
    20230809_143944.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230809_144023.jpg
    20230809_144023.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230809_143523.jpg
    20230809_143523.jpg
    497 KB · Views: 5
There are 2 chicks with the chocolate orpington that she hatched out, the other 4 were from some of the eggs i incubated.
The blue black ameraucana hen was resting somewhere, too hot for her to be up and about i reckon.

After enlarging the images I took, I do see some variances, like grey is becoming more noticeable and the Grey one one has yellow beak and there's some yellow on a couple of them .
I guess I was just thinking there'd be more coloring. There's still time for characteristics to show up, they're less than a week old.

Last edited:
There are 2 chicks with the chocolate orpington that she hatched out, the other 4 were from some of the eggs i incubated.
The blue black ameraucana hen was resting somewhere, too hot for her to be up and about i reckon.

After enlarging the images I took, I do see some variances, like grey is becoming more noticeable and the Greystone one has yellow beak and there's some yellow on a couple of them .
I guess I was just thinking there'd be more coloring. There's still time for
It seems like all the eggs you hatched were from the darker hens or the roosters even darker and more dominant genes made those chicks black, however it seems like the Orpington hen hatched two of her own eggs

It seems like all the eggs you hatched were from the darker hens or the roosters even darker and more dominant genes made those chicks black, however it seems like the Orpington hen hatched two of her own eggs
What I know is, 3 different colored eggs hatched in incubator...none of the blue eggs, 1 of the oe, 2 bcm, the other 1 I'm not sure of donor, either the comet or rir. The greyish one beside the orpington i would say was her own, it has the same shading going on as she has only in grey instead of brown. It seems to be the only one with a large white patch on its head.
None of the incubated ones have feathered legs. She won't let me get close enough now to look at them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom