1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

All dead?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JodyJo, Nov 3, 2015.

1. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I am in a desert, and have a wood stove, and still dry hatch.

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I only go completely dry if my bator stays above 25%, if it doesn't I add a wet spong which will usually hold it at 30% which is what I prefer. I did a late hatch last year and with the pellet stove running and it was too dry for me.

3. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    I've also had a chick hatch on day 25 under my broody hen, perfectly fine and needed no help. Don't despair yet. If the temps on your incubator were not accurate and so slightly lower (mine tells me it's a full degree higher than it really is) it can cause a delayed hatch.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    tried one egg, it floats....

5. caesargirl

caesargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    Did u notice any movement? It may have been slight.

6. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I put them all in and checked, one was cheeping as I did it! I just put them all back in....we took one out and cracked it open, it was fully developed but not alive....I have 15 left...we'll give them another day or so....I may get at least the one...sad...

7. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    no, I grabbed the one out quickly as I heard it cheep...the rest I did not notice movement, but put the ones that did not sink back in the bator...give them another day or so.

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    And even then, no movement does not definitely indicate that the chick is dead, simply lets you know that the chick is not moving at that time. Of course, if the egg wobbles, you know for sure that the chick is alive!!! Be sure there are no tiny pips before you put that egg in water!!!

1 person likes this.
  9. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    got it....all back in, will check tomorrow, hopefully the one cheeping will be out by then!

10. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I have had single chicks before, sometimes I will put in a test egg in my incubator to see if the egg is fertile. [​IMG]
    this little guy had to wait a week for the other eggs to hatch. but I put in his pen, a mirror, wiggly flowers, and a stuffed animal- gorilla it slept under.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I put this pic in the may issue of backyard poultry mag. good luck on your babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by