All Different Sized Chicks

sunshineyarns

Songster
8 Years
Mar 23, 2011
Hello! I am getting ready to move my girls outside full time next week (in Colorado)! Currently, they spend most of their days outside and their nights in two different brooders (off heat). When they go outside, they are all out there together. They will all be 6 to 7 weeks ago this coming Wednesday, with the exception of 1 Cinnamon Queen that is 4 weeks. They are all different breeds, and therefore VERY different in size (even within ones born the same week!). I watch them outside alot and they seem to get along okay. They split into the groups they are in inside (with their good buds) and the smallest do get picked on very minimally. My Speckled Sussex who is almost 6 weeks old is getting surpassed pretty soon by the almost week old Cinnamon Queen.

I do want them to all get a fair chance in the new coop together so that its not impeding on territory, etc. Thoughts? Should I not worry?!

Keep in mind that even in peaceful flocks it's not unusual to see a little squabbling and jostling for position on the roost at night. Just let them work it out unless someone gets bloody. You might want to pick up a bottle of BluKote or some other no-pick product, just in case, so that hopefully you won't have to remove any of them. Many find pecking order squabbles a bit disturbing, but they are going to happen. These girls are already used to each other so there really shouldn't be a major problem. Relax!

Back
Top Bottom