All eggs but 1 died on day 23. PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by redrosado, Mar 31, 2016.

1. redrosado

redrosado Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2016
    CONNECTICUT
    Hello all. I had 12 eggs, great incubator with fan & turner. I have read everything I could find before attempting this. Temps were at 98.5 -99.5 for 18 days. Humidity at 40-45 whole time. Candling looked great. Day 18 moved 10 good eggs to lock down in separate incubator that was run at 99 degrees for a week prior. All water areas full & 3 wet sponges added only brought humidity up to 60. Day 22 first external pip & zipping started an hour later. 24 hours later, chicky died. Dry membrane- paper white. Next chick had started a zip & 6 hours later, I assisted. Only surviving chick! Autopsies showed all dry and white dried out membranes!!! No shrink wrapping. Very late deaths. We're devastated. How can I keep this from happening again? I have more eggs to go to lockdown on April 6!!!! I need help!!! Also lone survivor is sticky & wont fluff out. She's cheeping & stumbling around. I don't want to chill her, but dont want bacteria either! She's our miracle chick. What should I do? We are so worried!

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    take a warm wet washcloth and wipe her down and put her in the brooder under a light with a feather duster in with her.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It sounds like your temperatures are too low. They should begin hatching on day 21. Increase your temps on your next hatch, and I would suggest investing in a Brinsea Spot Check thermometer, as they are super accurate.

4. 20736

20736 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    Is your incubator wafer or solid-state?
    I have a wafer incubator and it reacts to barometric pressures too much. I now use banty hens exclusively to hatch.
    If its a wafer incubator, check barometric pressures last 3 weeks, maybe you had a spike.
    Also, what is the fertility/hatch rate of eggs?
    Hope this helps.

5. RHBRanch

RHBRanch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    North Dakota
    I run my humidity around that 65-70% range during lock down and my temp around 99-100 degrees during the whole process from start to finish. However, that's for a circulated air incubator. If you have a still air I believe the temp is supposed to be around that 101-103 degree range and humidity probably the same. Hope that helps. I too had issues with the dry membranes but was able to get the humidity up before I lost any more of the chicks during hatching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by