"All flock" feed?

What should I feed a flock of 4 laying hens, 2 pullets 1 laying 1 not, and a cockerel not laying. I'm currently feeding 18% feather fixer and flock raiser ( once my current bag of flock raiser is gone I'm taking them off it which shouldn't be more than 2 weeks )
if they are doing alright with the feather fixer, keep them on that. I had our flock on that for 100lb of feed while we had great layers, non layers (pullets to young) and a rooster.

What should I feed a flock of 4 laying hens, 2 pullets 1 laying 1 not, and a cockerel not laying. I'm currently feeding 18% feather fixer and flock raiser ( once my current bag of flock raiser is gone I'm taking them off it which shouldn't be more than 2 weeks )

I give my mixed age flock growers feed but anything with 16-20% protein and NO calcium will work. Just have a container of oyster shells available free choice for the layers.

Quote: I currently have 1 mature rooster, 5 mature hens (only three of which are laying @ the moment), and 5 pullets. As the pullets are not yet fully mature everybody is getting what's left of the starter grower feed However eventually they will all be grown and I'm not sure if that would be the best choice anymore. I have seen nothing at any of the feed sources that says "all flock"; what I have seen is chick, starter-grower, layer, feather-fixer and something called grower-finisher. Unless someone chimes in and tells me that one of these is actually all-flock under a different name I'll look for the high protein content. While I'm busy reading labels, are their any other nutrients of significance I should look for?

P.S. I do have can filled with oyster (and ground egg) shells available on the side. I have that for them even when I am using layer feed. They peck at it as needed.

Some feather fixer feeds have just as much calcium in them as layer feeds. Check the labels. Flock Raiser is safe for all ages, stages, and genders. All the layers need in addition, is access to a source of calcium.

I currently have 1 mature rooster, 5 mature hens (only three of which are laying @ the moment), and 5 pullets. As the pullets are not yet fully mature everybody is getting what's left of the starter grower feed However eventually they will all be grown and I'm not sure if that would be the best choice anymore. I have seen nothing at any of the feed sources that says "all flock"; what I have seen is chick, starter-grower, layer, feather-fixer and something called grower-finisher. Unless someone chimes in and tells me that one of these is actually all-flock under a different name I'll look for the high protein content. While I'm busy reading labels, are their any other nutrients of significance I should look for?

P.S. I do have can filled with oyster (and ground egg) shells available on the side. I have that for them even when I am using layer feed. They peck at it as needed.
grower-finisher or just grower is what you want.

Hope this isn't hijacking this thread, but it seems related to other posts.

I'm currently feeding my flock of 23 hens and 4 roosters, all 24 weeks old, a layer mix.

At my feed store, I have options of starter/grower, layer, "meat maker", and I've seen all-flock, a couple brands.

I also offer free choice oyster shell, phosphorus, and salt.

I'm concerned that the layer mix is giving my roosters more calcium than they should have, but I also didn't want to give the layers too much protein.

Is the correct thing to do to switch to an all-flock feed, and continue to provide the supplements free choice?

Thanks in advance!

I'm currently feeding my flock of 23 hens and 4 roosters, all 24 weeks old, a layer mix.

At my feed store, I have options of starter/grower, layer, "meat maker", and I've seen all-flock, a couple brands.

I'm concerned that the layer mix is giving my roosters more calcium than they should have, but I also didn't want to give the layers too much protein.

Is the correct thing to do to switch to an all-flock feed, and continue to provide the supplements free choice?

Thanks in advance!

Yes that sounds good. Giving them an all flock feed and providing extra calcium like oyster shells for the layers

Thanks in advance!
Read the labels. Some all flock feeds have as much calcium as layer feed. Feeds with a protein content of about 20% will not do any harm to the layers.

Back
Top Bottom