"All flock" feed?

Stopped by the TSC and checked out the "Grower-Finisher", the label said 20% protein less than 1% calcium. That jibes with what others have said so I got that. Thanks.
bow.gif

I would only supplement the Flock Raiser type feeds with oyster shell on the side, not also salt and Ph. Mary

I'm curious to know your reason. What I've read (ok, basically Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens by Gail Damerow) advises making salt and phosphorus available to them when they want it (along of course with grit and calcium).

My understanding is that there *should* be sufficient salt in the feed, but then I prefer my chickens to forage as much as they're willing to.. Figure if they don't want/need the salt, they won't take it.

This though is my first flock, so trying to absorb as much information as I can (without getting too confused along the way), hence I'm interested in knowing your reasons.

I would only supplement the Flock Raiser type feeds with oyster shell on the side, not also salt and Ph. Mary
Oyster and ground egg shells are in a separate tin. The chickens that need it can get it as they wish.The other birds (non-laying hens, rooster and pullets) will give it a cursory peck when I fill it just to see what it is then walk away and leave it alone. How they can tell the difference between it and regular grit I find rather intriguing. Maybe it has a special taste that they can sense?

You will definitely need to supply oyster shell on the side. As far as I can see the main difference between flock raiser and layer is the protein % and added calcium. The 20% protein in flock raiser supports molting, winter nutrition, and it's better for my bigger birds, (turkeys and ducks.) They all get oyster shell on the side so the layers get their calcium. I prefer my males and young birds to not get the extra calcium in a layer feed. Using flock raiser, I don't have to switch out feeds when I have broodies and babies.
I have moved to feeding flock raiser from day one, it just works for us.
This is so helpful. Thanks! How do you get the oyster shells to the hens that need it? Hand feed?

This is so helpful. Thanks! How do you get the oyster shells to the hens that need it? Hand feed?
As free choice in a separate dish. They should consume as needed. I just use plastic dog dishes, easy to clean, inexpensive at the local dollar store, if they soil the small amount in there I can dump and refill.

there are basically 3 stages of feed.
1- chick starter for hatch to 6-8 weeks
2- grower which can be used as an "all flock feed" for flocks of mixed ages, gender, species and what not. With grower put out a feeder with oyster shell and one with grit.
3- layer is for an all "girl" flock that is laying and has no boys. Extra calcium is not good for males or babies.

Hope that broke it down. If you have a mill near by I would suggest buying from them. Several reasons but mostly because the feed is made fresh weekly at most mills. Plus the employees are a bit more knowledgeable about the product. Then there is the fact you are supporting small business and local farms. Just ask for the grower feed and a bag of oyster shell.
How do we find out if there is a mill nearby?

TSC carries (ok, this has been a BAD year for stocks of feed, I've had difficulties early in the summer) "All Flock" from Nutrena Link in a 40# bag. I use this. When I can't get it, I use the all flock from Purina in a 50# bag, which they call "Flock Raiser" Link. If I can't find either of those, I'll use the Nutrena "Feather Fixer", another 20% protein, no extra calcium feed.

TSC also carries (again, some stores), the "DuMor" brand (is that their store brand?) "All Flock" Pellet in a 50# bag. Honestly, the price point looks attractive, but its only a 17% protein feed. Link If you are running an all flock because your birds are mixed ages but all layers (or intended to be), that may be perfectly adequate to your needs - but if you have meat birds in there, you will want to steer away, and use a chick crumble for the first weeks of any new birds you are adding to your flock.

and free choice Oyster shell, of course.

TractorKing carries most of the same products, I won't link here, but hopefully with the brand names, you know what to look for when browsing your local stores. 18-20% protein, moderate fat and fiber, no medication, no extra calcium.

Back
Top Bottom