All flock??

newchickenista

Songster
8 Years
Jan 25, 2012
Southeastern, Oklahoma
I am currently feeding 12 laying hens and 29 10 week old chicks. I am feeding the hens layer crumbles and I am feeding the 10 week Olds a medicated starter/grower crumble. I am interested in switching them all over to a "all flock" feed and providing oyster she'll for the adult birds. What is everyone's opinion on this? Is there anything else I would need to supplement either side with if I were to do this?

I have heard some people doing this, using Purina Flock Raiser and supplementing Oyster Shell to the layers. However, I have found the layers perform better on a layer feed. Flock raiser is great for growing juveniles, though.

I feed my whole flock Flock Raiser, and supplement with oyster shell. I've got a flock with mature layers, a rooster, and a few pullets that haven't come into lay yet. The hens lay just about everyday, when it's not winter, and the eggs always have strong shells.
When I have a broody with chicks, I switch all the feed to medicated starter for the first few weeks. Then I switch back to Flock Raiser.

I have roughly the same situation. 15 laying hand and 28 pullers. We started out with separate feeds hens on an organic layer pellet and pulley on organic chick starter crumble. Turns out the hens preferred the pullet food. I did switch over to the starter for all, and provided the hens with oyster shell. My girls are free range as well so this is just a supplement to their bugs and grass. I would make sure your pullets are still eating a starter til at least full grown and laying. They need the extra protein that is in their feed.

Well, I switched them over this morning, just bought one bag of All Flock, which was on sale, so if I decide I want to switch back, it won't be any big deal. I've had my hens on until now a 16% protein layer crumble, and my 10 week old chicks an 18% protein starter/grower feed. This "All Flock" I bought is a 16% protein feed. Now my question is this: Is there anything I can buy to mix with this feed that would add more protein? Since my hens have been molting I would like to add them some extra protein, plus I don't like taking the 10 week old chicks down from 18% protein to 16%. Any suggestions?

Well, I switched them over this morning, just bought one bag of All Flock, which was on sale, so if I decide I want to switch back, it won't be any big deal. I've had my hens on until now a 16% protein layer crumble, and my 10 week old chicks an 18% protein starter/grower feed. This "All Flock" I bought is a 16% protein feed. Now my question is this: Is there anything I can buy to mix with this feed that would add more protein? Since my hens have been molting I would like to add them some extra protein, plus I don't like taking the 10 week old chicks down from 18% protein to 16%. Any suggestions?
This is one of the reasons you need to read the labels. Chicks need at least 18% protein for healthy growth and development. Did you check what the calcium level is? It shouldn't exceed 2%. Some 'All Flock' is just layer feed with a different name on it.

You can add things like boiled eggs to supplement the protein, but it is probably safest to keep the young ones on a medicated chick or grower feed to be sure they get the proper nutrition for growth. Poultry feed is a better balanced diet than any of us can ever imagine eating! (I wish I had my own nutritionist like they have at these feeds companies to balance my diet!)

Main Question: Is All Flock organic?

I haven't seen any indication on their website that it was.

Side Question: Has anyone had problems with their hens not eating it because it's in pellet shape? I'm afraid our girls will do that. We tried giving them pellets before, and they would bite them, then spit them out. Then we got basically the same feed, except in crumbles, and they ate it.

~SuperChickRuth

Main Question: Is All Flock organic?

I haven't seen any indication on their website that it was.

Side Question: Has anyone had problems with their hens not eating it because it's in pellet shape? I'm afraid our girls will do that. We tried giving them pellets before, and they would bite them, then spit them out. Then we got basically the same feed, except in crumbles, and they ate it.

~SuperChickRuth

No, it's not organic.

Yes, some birds balk a bit at changing from crumbles to pellets. But they're not going to starve themselves to death. A lot of folks feel there's a lot less waste with pellets.

Back
Top Bottom