All kinds of problems with a chick.

graceredeemedfarms

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2019
I do not wish to cull yet so with all due respect, don’t suggest that please. This chick wants to live and I want to try everything I can first.

I have a chick was a shipped egg, all air cells were detached. I left in them in carton during incubation and hand rotated. Nurture right 360, secondary thermometer and 50% humidity until lockdown, 70% at lockdown. 99.5 temp the whole time.

Out of 12, One pipped a day after it was due. A good 24 hours later it mostly zipped and stayed that way for another 24 hours. It stopped trying and stopped chirping. We helped it hatch. Yes I know how bad that is but it was partially shrink wrapped (we did not open the bator until we decided to assist) and it had shell stuck to it. The first day I thought it would die. Day two I washed off the junk so it could move and left it in the incubator. Yesterday I started hand feeding it hand read parrot food. I gave it poultry-drench yesterday and poultry cell this morning. It has a VERY strong will to live. It stood up for the first time yesterday. It hasn’t improved since it stood the two times yesterday. It has more fight but not any new strength or balance. It seems to spin in one direction but I wonder if it’s trying to stand.

i tried to feel For a slipped tendon and don’t feel it on either side.

Last edited:
I would try to give it cooked yolk for protein since that’s what they get right before the hatch.

If it’s eating and drinking (even with assistance) that’s a really good sign. Just be patience like you have been.

Are its legs well? And is it otherwise normal looking?

ETA: to attach a video click on the ... (next to the happy face icon on the toolbar) and a drop down list will come up and it’s the first one you see that sees media.

I would try to give it cooked yolk for protein since that’s what they get right before the hatch.

If it’s eating and drinking (even with assistance) that’s a really good sign. Just be patience like you have been.

Are its legs well? And is it otherwise normal looking?

ETA: to attach a video click on the ... (next to the happy face icon on the toolbar) and a drop down list will come up and it’s the first one you see that sees media.

it’s legs are not right no. I just posted a video.

Can she move the leg at all? Does she react when you touch it? If it's paralyzed, then it might not be a visible issue. It might be a neurological one. BUT chicks generally don't really learn to walk till day two, but sometimes it takes longer with weaker chicks. Maybe spraddle leg?

I’ve heard that it could be a slipped tendon or something. If caught early it *might* be fixed, but if it’s not fixed it can live but will eventually scrape and drag that leg causing pain.

With a chick that had a similar issue I tried doing what it suggested to fix its leg but it never worked and I felt I was just hurting it. And since I knew it wouldn’t be fixed and I wasn’t going to hand feed it and ensure it drank for the rest of its life (or at least til it got old enough to possibly do it on its own) I let my husband make the difficult decision.

Here’s a link I found.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/bitchinchickens.com/2019/07/15/slipped-tendon/amp/

Back
Top Bottom