all Muscovy eggs hatched

petjem

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 21, 2012
Greece, EU
Last night I went to close the door of the duck's coop and there was a surprise waiting for me! 7 little muscovy ducklings under mama duck! 7 out of 7 eggs hatched! I'm so thrilled! They are the cutest babies ever!

Today morning mama duck came out of the coop a couple of times and called them to come out but they didn't want to leave their nest. Then she went back in to stay close to them. Should I bring them out or let them decide when they're ready to come out and follow their mother?

First of all:
ya.gif
Congrats!!

It`s normal they won`t come out right away..:)
Have some patience. They will come for sure!!
Enjoy the ride!!

Last night I went to close the door of the duck's coop and there was a surprise waiting for me! 7 little muscovy ducklings under mama duck! 7 out of 7 eggs hatched! I'm so thrilled! They are the cutest babies ever!

Today morning mama duck came out of the coop a couple of times and called them to come out but they didn't want to leave their nest. Then she went back in to stay close to them. Should I bring them out or let them decide when they're ready to come out and follow their mother?
They are adorable, Congrats... put food and water close by so mama can show them where to eat. Be sure to post pics so we can watch them grow. Hows your other Scovy handling all the excitement?

It only took them a while to realize that they should come out of the coop. Mama kept jumping up and down on the door to show them the way and what they should do, finally one by one started jumping out to enjoy the sun and fresh air! ;)

Here's a short video of the ducklings on their first day still in their nest, in the morning before they came out for the first time.

I've separated their dad from their mother as he was trying to mount her all the time when she started sitting on her eggs and would scare the heck out of her and she would leave her nest running away from him. He lives now in his own pen just next to them.

and more pics!!!

Their dad is totally white with blue eyes but none of them looks like him. Even the yellow ducklings have darker tails and a dark line behind their cute little eyes!

Last edited:
Thanks! Unfortunately I can't keep them all maybe a couple more girls if there are any, the rest I'll give them to friends who want them. :)

Well, you are very fortunate to have friends who want them...
This will keep repeating. In a good year up to three times! So maybe in the future you may have to get rid of some eggs before hatching... It`s really painfull if you can`t find a good home for them..:-(
For now, your friends are so lucky to get them!!

Thanks! Unfortunately I can't keep them all maybe a couple more girls if there are any, the rest I'll give them to friends who want them. :)

Well, you are very fortunate to have friends who want them...
This will keep repeating. In a good year up to three times! So maybe in the future you may have to get rid of some eggs before hatching... It`s really painfull if you can`t find a good home for them..:-(
For now, your friends are so lucky to get them!!
Do you raise them just for pets or do they serve a dual purpose and you eat them too?

old.gif

Back
Top Bottom