All my birds died!

I 'm with rainwolf, that many that fast....cold or fumes, feed or even disease don't kill all that fast.

My guess these were to young for your temp. there outside.

Well sorry bout that, I commonly mix up my Mo and Di....

Either way, I figure it kilt'em, grave yard dead....
hit.gif
Bill

Quote:
Feed would kill that fast, quaillady lost I believe it was more than 30 buttons in 20 minutes due to bad feed.

Wow, that would be hard to take... What was wrong with the feed to cause this?

Nothing changed as far as I can tell. The temperatures are much warmer now than in the middle of winter (where they have been the entire time). I did switch feed several weeks ago (I ran out of game feed, so I feed them a non-medicated chick starter). Since it was several weeks ago, that can't explain why they all died in a single night.

My dog does sleep in a dog crate below their cage. But it is near our bedroom and we didn't hear him yelping (which he has done many times before, never causing a problem with the birds). Still, that SOMETHING scarred them is the only workable theory I can think of.

I'm still perplexed. The worst thing is that the big outdoor quail pen I am building is just about ready---all I needed to do was install the latch on the door!

Quote:
Feed would kill that fast, quaillady lost I believe it was more than 30 buttons in 20 minutes due to bad feed.

WOW THATS crazy
ep.gif
heck rat poison doesn't work that fast...............still bet odds RARE THEY die from the feed.

We had a problem with chicken feed up here... one particular brand... took roughly two weeks before people started losing birds. One friend got 4 quail from me, and started feeding it... two weeks later one acted really odd and keeled over dead... the other three started acting weird after that. When I asked her about the feed, and told her to switch, she did and they pulled out of it within a couple of days. It really could be the feed.
Coturnix do fairly well in the cold, so unless you moved them from a 65°F house out to -10F outside, I don't think it's the cold. If they were badly startled, they may have all flushed and hit their heads hard on the top of the cage and killed themselves that way... it happens.
Best thing is to do a necropsy, see if their necks are broken or if there's anything odd in their carcasses. Or send a bird to your state vet for testing.

I'm sorry for your loss...

Back
Top Bottom