All my chickens have stopped laying and become cranky??

Dook

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 28, 2010
Wagga Wagga, AUS
So what I have are 6 mixed breed layer chickens and 1 rooster.

2 weeks ago we went away for 6 days and had our neighbor look after them. Our neighbor said they had stopped laying after one day he had let them out of the pen (even though I said he shouldn't while we're gone because they didn't know him) and they haven't laid any eggs since! 8 days now. and I am getting worried. They also have a cranky sort of behavior want to peck at my legs and feet, and they kind of 'growl' and rear up like they want a fight. (well, all but my eldest chicken does this) And this behavior is very out of character for them, since we hand raised them they've been cuddly chickens until now.

I'm not sure if it'd matter but the weather here has gone from warm and sunny most of the time to sudden rain constantly. If this would affect their mood and laying habits?

They also suddenly decided to malt recently, looks like they had a massive pillow fight in their pen!! One chook has a big bald spot on her back aswell (for about a month or so now), I'm not sure if she's been doing this to herself or others have? I've tried to give her a coat to wear until it heals up and feathers grow, but no matter what, she always gets it off..(tried a push button, normal button and safety pin!)

We also have 7 baby pekins in a different pen next to the big chickens...but they all seem fine and normal.

Thanks in advance!! =)

~vicki

Thanks Sourland!

It's odd because they've molted before but never had behavior issues before, was just so sudden and weird.

Also only 3 of them are molting at the moment, the others had their molt about a month ago. And the rooster lost all his tail feathers, but they're grown back now...but his neck is loosing feathers!

Yes, they look clear of any..I do dust them once a month just incase anyway =)

I just hope the neighbor or the weather didn't traumatize them somehow >.<

Back
Top Bottom