Is it common for a previously egg bound chicken to stop laying eggs for a bit?

Aardyn

Songster
Feb 8, 2024
South Carolina
One of my chickens was recently egg bound. I was quick to spot something was wrong as she kept squatting every few steps when I went out to see them and let them roam about the yard for a bit. While you could not see the egg you could see that she was trying to lay one, when I checked I could feel the egg not that far in. I had given her a massage or two and even a warm soak or two but she did not lay it that night or the day after. I was worried I was going to lose her or worse have to euthanize her myself to stop her from suffering but the next afternoon she passed the egg, as well as a second egg with no developed shell. She is back to her normal feisty self though its been a few days and she hasn't laid another egg since.

I was wondering if that was normal due to stress or if I should start to worry about her again. I haven't seen any signs of further egg binding but as these are my first chickens I am considerably worried about it happening again.

Last edited:
How old is this hen? And yes, this can be a chronic issue with some hens, especially after they reach a certain age.

Treating an egg bound hen with a calcium citrate with D3 supplement boosts her blood calcium immediately, and that can produce contractions to get the obstruction cleared. But it's likely a calcium deficiency is responsible. Give once calcium tablet each day for the next week or two or until you see her laying a single egg with a normal shell per 25 hour cycle. The calcium supplement should not be given in place of oyster shell for the long term, though.

Be sure the oyster shell is of good quality, not reduced to powder, and available free choice at all times.

She's been laying eggs since November, I got her last summer as a pullet. Last Sunday was the first time any of my chickens have gotten egg bound. They have access to oyster shell, and egg shells as well. My question wasn't if she will get egg bound again, my question was is it normal for her to take a break from laying after being egg bound?

She is currently looking well, and feisty and having her normal chicken spirit. I've been out every day to keep an eye on her to look for signs of further egg binding.

I know she hasn't laid an egg since passing the bound egg, because I only have 2 white egg layers and one of them Lola (a Buttercup) shares a nesting box with the buff Orpington, Honey. Honey will not let Faye anywhere near that nest box and will chase and peck her out if she tries to use it. Apparently its for the red heads only in her opinion lol.

It's not really an issue of whether it's normal not to lay after being egg bound. Any sort of stress or trauma will affect egg laying. She has experienced trauma to her reproductive tract and it's recommended to treat her for a calcium deficiency to reduce the chances of it happening again as each time it happens, it risks having a chronic infection occur and worse.

Hens can have a calcium deficiency in spite of have oyster shell available. Circumstances can affect rate of absorption and low blood calcium can result. When that happens, there can be much worse consequences than egg binding. Heart attack on the nest while laying an egg can occur.

If she is active and eating that is a good sign. I would not worry about it. Chickens are not machines, and things do throw off their schedules.

I am not sure that she was egg bound. Laying eggs is a natural event and it usually works pretty well. Unless mine are lethargic and uninterested in life, I let them be.

Mrs K

If she is active and eating that is a good sign. I would not worry about it. Chickens are not machines, and things do throw off their schedules.

I am not sure that she was egg bound. Laying eggs is a natural event and it usually works pretty well. Unless mine are lethargic and uninterested in life, I let them be.

Mrs K

Don't get me wrong I don't mind that she is not laying I was just worried about whether it was something I should worry about lol.

She was definitely egg bound, her vent was bulging bad enough I was worried she was going to prolapse trying to push it out.

She's been doing great otherwise, she has her normal feisty spirit back and runs out to meet me when I come out to collect eggs every day to see if I have brought treats. She is her old speedy self. Strangely the whole ordeal seems to have solved whatever problem Honey my buff Orpington seems to have had with her, and has stopped pecking at her every chance she gets.

I also have a young hen (a Delware, got her as pullet in August) that became eggbound maybe a month or so into laying. It's been almost two and half weeks and she hasn't laid another egg after passing the bound one (which was smaller than normal but otherwise fine). I'm grateful she didn't have to lay another one right away – for her sake, because her recovery took a while. But I came here because I had the same question as you. I haven't found an answer, but I figure, as long as she's alert, apparently unstressed, and moving around, eating, drinking, and eliminating normally, it's okay. She's become very docile because I had to handle her so much during the crisis and recovery. Maybe she's my pet chicken now. I for sure keep a sharp eye on her, though, for any sign of problems.

Last edited:
I also have a young hen (a Delware, got her as pullet in August) that became eggbound maybe a month or so into laying. It's been almost two and half weeks and she hasn't laid another egg after passing the bound one (which was smaller than normal but otherwise fine). I'm grateful she didn't have to lay another one right away – for her sake, because her recovery took a while. But I came here because I had the same question as you. I haven't found an answer, but I figure, as long as she's alert, apparently unstressed, and moving around, eating, drinking, and eliminating normally, it's okay. She's become very docile because I had to handle her so much during the crisis and recovery. Maybe she's my pet chicken now. I for sure keep a sharp eye on her, though, for any sign of problems.
Nice to know I'm not the only one wondering lol. Still no laying so far, not that I mind but its only been a week. I wish my Faye had become more docile lol, instead she has become more suspicious of me and whether or not I might be trying to pick her up again. She still comes running when I come out in case of treats but stays just far enough away in case it may be a trick :p

Nice to know I'm not the only one wondering lol. Still no laying so far, not that I mind but its only been a week. I wish my Faye had become more docile lol, instead she has become more suspicious of me and whether or not I might be trying to pick her up again. She still comes running when I come out in case of treats but stays just far enough away in case it may be a trick :p
My girl just started laying daily again two days ago! :celebrate Hang in there!

My girl just started laying daily again two days ago! :celebrate Hang in there!
Yay! Glad she had no further problems. Faye is still looking happy and healthy too. Tomorrow will be two weeks since she passed her stuck egg. I'm happy she is taking her time before trying again, but until she does lay another one without any problems I'm going to be a little worried for her.

Back
Top Bottom