All my chicks died in 20 minutes!

I use a heating pad (MHP, article by Bloomie) for several years now, it works great and the chicks are in a "nite/day" setting and I find they're quieter/calm. Heating pad should not have the automatic shut off, make a "shell" for it and they're so cute under it.

1651451503200.png

Attachments

• 2021 McMurray Order - 0412:3.jpg
    2021 McMurray Order - 0412:3.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 13
Thanks for the quick responses! We feel fine. The plastic bin was open for ventilation and we have fairly new smoke/CO detectors all over the house.

That’s disappointing to hear about pine shavings not being recommended. They were recommended by the staff at tractor supply.
As long as they're covered with paper towels 4-7 days they're fine.The paper towels are easy to walk on and they won't eat them.

I am not a wood shavings fan.
I’m not either
I use puppy pads or towels for the first few weeks
I tried shavings my first time and one of my ducklings got a tiny piece stuck in his nose for 5 days
He had 2 baths a day and a water dish big enough to dunk his head
Learned my lesson on that one

I'm adding a thermostat controller to regulate the light in my brooder and adding a heating pad in case either one malfunctions .I keep my baby chicks in my bedroom the first week to 10 days because they're fragile.I wouldn't use a heating pad by itself.
I use a heating pad alone, and they are in the coop from day 1. The chicks I’ve raised with the heating pad method are healthier, feathered out and off heat sooner than the ones I’ve started with a heat lamp.

I use a heating pad alone, and they are in the coop from day 1. The chicks I’ve raised with the heating pad method are healthier, feathered out and off heat sooner than the ones I’ve started with a heat lamp.
You can flip a tote upside down and cut a hole in the center for a light .Cut one side out for them to go in and out .Works like a heat plate or heating pad and they aren't in the dark.

I have used just the MHP since day 1 with my 2 batches worked GREAT! I have never had a heat lamp. I like they they are used to a natural night and day cycle from the start. I don't like getting them used to false light then having them have to figure out natural day light cycles. First batch I brooded indoors the whole time. 2nd one was inside for about a week. They have been outside in a coop brooder for 10 days now. so they are around 2.5 weeks old and have a TON of feathers already.

Back
Top Bottom